Thread: Green glue use question

Blog Entries

Green glue use question

Can the caulk to seal the blower housing on a ClearVue 1800 be replaced or substituted with Green Glue soundproofing caulk?

Anyone tried it, does it reduce noise levels at all?

Highly doubtful. You’re sealing such a small gap that you could use plumbers putty and it’s probably be the same. An enclosure is your best bet.

Blog Entries
    Greenglue stays super sticky forever (really, it never cures), so if it isn't completely covered up things can get very messy.

My "go-to" for stuff like that is original formula Shoe Goo.

In 1987, I used some to attach a flood light fixture to the aluminum siding above my garage. No mechanical fasteners just the Shoe Goo.
    That fixture is still as good as new after all these years.
    Amazing.

It's also a Southerly exposure - so - it bears the full brunt of any and all weather & sun.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Greenglue stays super sticky forever (really, it never cures), so if it isn't completely covered up things can get very messy.
    That rules it's use out for me.
    Never thought about that. I was looking from the perspective of noise reduction.
    I am building a shed dedicated to the ClearVue and my compressor.
    Looking at all options for noise reduction.
    Also, something that has been discussed here a bit lately is emptying the collection drum. That's yet another good reason to move the DC outside the shop, altogether.
    I think it would be difficult to empty the container without kicking up some visible and, the more dangerous unseen dust. This will remain in the shop until it is again sent aloft by simply walking into the shop.
    While the same will also occur in a separate shed, it is not a work area.
    As much work as it has been for my wife and I to build this shed, I am evermore convinced that, even if I die the day it's finished, someone will have a safe place to work with wood.

Bill, I don't think Green Glue has any other use than quieting. The fact that it stays soft is what makes it work. Used
    mostly between two pieces of sheet rock.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Bill, I don't think Green Glue has any other use than quieting. The fact that it stays soft is what makes it work. Used
    mostly between two pieces of sheet rock.
    I think you are referring to the soundproofing compound which is formulated to go between sheaths. I was referring to the soundproofing sealant. They make both.
    I bought a few tubes of both.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I think you are referring to the soundproofing compound which is formulated to go between sheaths. I was referring to the soundproofing sealant. They make both.
    I bought a few tubes of both.
    In may last post I too assumed you were talking about the stuff that goes between the drywall. I have no experience with their sealant.

I used some Liquid Nail brand "acoustical sealant " between 5 pieces of Sheetrock. Bought from Amazon and it was
    much cheaper than Green Glue. Don't know if it helped. And I had a curtain of mass loaded vinyl in there too.
    Something made some quiet! Don't care which product.

Blog Entries
    I used some Liquid Nail brand "acoustical sealant " between 5 pieces of Sheetrock. Bought from Amazon and it was
    much cheaper than Green Glue. Don't know if it helped. And I had a curtain of mass loaded vinyl in there too.
    Something made some quiet! Don't care which product.
    Acoustical sealant does not perform the same as Greenglue. I read a study that came to that conclusion. You could have skipped the MLV and used additional layers of drywall that would have saved a ton of money and performed as well as the MLV. That money could have been used on Greenglue.

Blog Entries
    I bought just a small roll (4x10') of MLV.
    I'm sure I'll find a use for it, perhaps to reduce the weight of the double doors I plan to build.
    That's one place where I don't want a lot of sheaths of, whatever, even though it is heavy, it's far more effective than most other products and may allow me to build thinner, lighter weight doors.
    Or, it may not be of any use in my situation, but I just wanted to get some to try. It may very well be that if my separate shed does not reduce noise levels enough, I could hang it beside me between the lathe and the wall directly next to the shed, which is 6' away from the shop.
    I do plan to make the shed walls using differing thicknesses pressed together with GreenGlue soundproofing compound. The GreenGlue soundproofing sealant is for filling all the small gaps and around the walls where they meet floor,ceiling and corners.
    That's my understanding at this point. Perhaps I'm going about it wrong, but all I can do is try to use what I have as effectively as I can and hope I made some good choices.

Just remember if you have your DC outside, and I presume vent it outside, you’re going to quickly loose conditioned shop air into the yard.

Frank,thanks. I'm aware that Green Glue seems to be a singular product. I bought another different use MLV product
    real cheap and used it lavishly in the walls of two baths. And wrapped both the under floor and wall ABS pipes. Quiet!

Blog Entries
    Frank,thanks. I'm aware that Green Glue seems to be a singular product. I bought another different use MLV product
    real cheap and used it lavishly in the walls of two baths. And wrapped both the under floor and wall ABS pipes. Quiet!
    Quieting drain pipes, especially the main stack, would be a great use of MLV. I hadn't thought of that.