Thread: Laptop recommendation for SketchUp?

Laptop recommendation for SketchUp?

I’m hoping there are some SketchUp users here that could recommend a laptop. I don’t really need the laptop for any other reason so was wondering what I really need if anyone could make a suggestion. Thanks

I have an Alienware M17x I bought for $600 off facebook. i7, 32gb ram, and a 3gb video card. I wish the video card was more powerful though. Sketchup runs fine, except for very large complicated files at max settings. They can get a touch slow.

I don't know that sketchup is all that demanding of hardware though the $299 specials may not cut it. What I would want is a 'real' monitor, 25"+ The laptop would need to be capable of at least 1920 X 1080 to drive that monitor.

Like Curt, I like a big display for sketchup. Also, SU uses your pointing device a lot. I’m pretty sure a laptop’s touchpad will be frustrating. Me, I use a trackball.

Thanks y’all, hopefully I can find something on a Black Friday deal. I’ve always just used a good old drafting arm and paper so this is all new

dell-inspiron-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-black/6373812 for $349.

I just saw this laptop deal that I thought was good. Had I seen it before I recently got my replacement, I would have jumped all over it.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Pretty much anything will work, but don't expect to get much done without investing in the biggest monitor you can manage-- 27" at a minimum. The program eats screen real estate like crazy. You spend your whole life zooming and panning. Having a good multi-button mouse or trackpad is also pretty important. I found it wouldn't really work with my wireless rodents, I needed to use a wired model to get good responsiveness.