Thread: Finishing a secretary desk

Finishing a secretary desk

So what is a good way to apply the finish to a secretary desk, with all the little pocket holes? I like Shellac and or Lacquer.

Thanks

I think they look the best with bright solid colored cloth glued in. Other wise the spaces are usually just too dark.
    The stuff called "moire" is often used.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Knop View Post
    So what is a good way to apply the finish to a secretary desk, with all the little pocket holes? I like Shellac and or Lacquer.

Thanks
    I don't think you can beat spraying the finish. If you use lacquer use a little retarder thinner to minimize orange peal in the pocket holes.

Mine is Mahogany with clear Shellac. The work surface is granite. Desk 3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Knop View Post

Thanks
    My opinion...pre-finishing those components before assembly is the way to go, masking off glue lines/surfaces, is what I would do. It's no fun spraying into boxes even if they are open in the back. But if that ship sailed, the other commentary already is quite helpful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great looking desk, Tom. Have to ask...the top left and right drawers..are they curved on the inside?