Thread: Butcher Block Countertop + Neodymium Magnet

Butcher Block Countertop + Neodymium Magnet

Hello,

I am working on my small workshop kitchen and I have a small refrigerator that I plan to build a butcher block top for. My plan is to embed a number (maybe 4) neodymium magnets into the bottom of the butcherblock. Has anyone ever done something like this? Just curious to see... I am going to have to spec out the right size magnet and probably get a disc shape with a hole for mounting.

Just figured I would ask. I will post pictures of my build along the way.

Thanks.

Seems like a reasonable thing to do. Do be aware that these magnets will scratch things up pretty good if they slide around in a lot of cases.

They sell them with countersunk holes for screws, which seems like a better way than gluing them in.

You could just put down a couple blobs of hot glue as well, then you get some leveling capability and it remains semi-removable.

Blog Entries
    I've done similar things with rare earth magnets and have found that the cylindrical ones stay in place better than the discs. I hold them in with super glue. If you recess the magnet surface about 1/64" below the wood, the magnet will still hold and won't actually contact the metal.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Magnet Cups

Lee Valley sells zinc-plated steel cups with a countersunk hole in the bottom - either separately or in sets with matching disk magnets.. I've used them to keep an outdoor gate closed. The cup provides a stronger hold for smaller magnets. The cup can be countersunk so there is no direct contact, or they also sell thin vinyl (?) adhesive disks to protect against scratching.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...nd-washer-sets

If you don't plan to remove the top, carpet tape is good for this.

Be aware that rare earth magnets will shatter. At work we often have worn out magnetically coupled rodless cylinders that I take apart for the magnets. Everybody loves to play with them. Every so often we take a dozen or so and stick two toolboxes together as a joke we play on the new guys. The things are so strong that they will attract each other and if they do they often shatter when they hit each other. I've never tried to screw one down but I would use stainless steel screws and maybe a bed of glue and just snug it up. As for being strong enough I don't see a problem there. I used a couple of them to make hooks that stick to the bottom of the fence on my table saw. If anything they stick too good.