Thread: Edge of the Wood Flooring

Edge of the Wood Flooring

We are having the vinyl in the kitchen replaced with similar. The hardwood adjacent is higher by about 1/4" but it varies by an eighth either way. Without correcting the heights of the flooring, what is the best way to trim this? Last time I hand planed the piece the flooring guy installed to make it better but would like to do better. I can make something custom but would like to minimize the bump.

Also, what finish will show the gloss of the refinished Oak?

I would put a wedge shaped piece under the new vinyl, and not have any threshold. I've done this quite a number of times. I avoid transition thresholds where possible.

These pictures are wood to tile, and tile to laminate (in a closet). The wood to tile transition required a wedge under the wood, which is about 1/4" just in the thickness of the wall, and no one notices it. The laminate also required a thin wedge under it.

This was discussed here, a while back, so I already had the pictures in the gallery here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-20-2019 at 6:10 PM.

If I understand your situation, across a door opening, the existing wood flooring height varies between 3/8" and 1/8". Was that the case with the old flooring? You would like to have a transition between the floors. Your possible solution would be simpler if the height difference is essentially a plane. A more irregular the height difference seems like a greater challenge. When faced with this problem, I did as you did which is plane the underside edge of the transition.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    I have one of these that will do what you want.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...kId=2898368339

Tom, I don't mind transitions, and where there are sound proofing sweeps they are helpful. But that is a good look,and
    beautifully neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    We are having the vinyl in the kitchen replaced with similar. The hardwood adjacent is higher by about 1/4" but it varies by an eighth either way. Without correcting the heights of the flooring, what is the best way to trim this? Last time I hand planed the piece the flooring guy installed to make it better but would like to do better. I can make something custom but would like to minimize the bump.

Also, what finish will show the gloss of the refinished Oak?
    The box stores normally carry a cheap 1/4" plywood called underlayment for that purpose. Saves a lot of work cleaning the old floor too. Some people use a wood or metal transition strip to cover the seam where the two floors meet.

Not sure what you mean about showing the gloss of the refinished oak. I would make the sheen of the vinyl pretty similar to what the sheen of the wood floor was.

You could build the taper out of bondo or tile grout keeping it the 1/8 below the wood so the top surfaces match.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Tom, I don't mind transitions, and where there are sound proofing sweeps they are helpful. But that is a good look,and
    beautifully neat.
    Thanks. That's in an addition on our house. Those floors would have been flat, flush, and I planned for the differences when I framed that addtion, but my Wife decided, in the middle of the process, that she wanted a heated floor in the bathroom.

Blog Entries
    As Edward suggested, I'd go with raising the level under the vinyl. If not, go with a transition strip.

In my daughters kitchen, they replaced vinyl with ceramic tile. The backer board & tile brought the level to a little over 1/4" higher than the hardwood floor. I made a tapered transition 2" wide out of red oak (same as the hardwood floor). By using dye & a semi-gloss poly, I was able to match the 50 year old hardwood dead on. It looks great & is comfortable to walk on.