Thread: Help with osmo polyx

Help with osmo polyx

Hi guys, new to the forum and looking for help with OSMO finish. Specifically the Liquid Wax Cleaner. I have had this happen twice now lucky I was able to refinish it in time for delivery.

Steps:
    Sanded up to 220 grit
    applied 1101 which is extra thin penetrating oil
    3 coats of 3043 Satin Poly X (looking and feeling great at this point)
    Last step applied Liquid Wax Cleaner as a thin wax protectant coat and to add a little more sheen. (this is where I have had issues twice)

Once everything is dried properly I went to wipe it down with a damp cloth and it looks like it pulled off the finish in certain spots. Leaving it dull and unfinished looking. I have seen videos of people applying the liquid wax and looking great. I think I might be done with this product unless anyone can help.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_0932.jpg

I've never used Osmo's products, but it sounds like the solvent in the wax is redisolving some of the Poly X. My guess is you didn't wait long enough for the Poly X to cure.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Free View Post
    Hi guys, new to the forum and looking for help with OSMO finish. Specifically the Liquid Wax Cleaner. I have had this happen twice now lucky I was able to refinish it in time for delivery.

Steps:
    Sanded up to 220 grit
    applied 1101 which is extra thin penetrating oil
    3 coats of 3043 Satin Poly X (looking and feeling great at this point)
    Last step applied Liquid Wax Cleaner as a thin wax protectant coat and to add a little more sheen. (this is where I have had issues twice)

Once everything is dried properly I went to wipe it down with a damp cloth and it looks like it pulled off the finish in certain spots. Leaving it dull and unfinished looking. I have seen videos of people applying the liquid wax and looking great. I think I might be done with this product unless anyone can help.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_0932.jpg
    I don't use the OSMO finish either. I looked it up and it's a mixture of oils and wax. It also contains vegetable oil. These ingredients makes it incompatible with polyurethane. You could have used one or the other as a finish but not both. The white in the grain is the poly lifting already. The only fix is to strip it off and start over.