Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Second Quality" Hand Planes?

"Second Quality" Hand Planes?

I just saw an old hand plane for sale, and it has "second quality" stamped on it. I can't see what's wrong with it.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea why a company like Stanley or Millers Falls would stamp a plane "second quality." For all I know, it could be a paint problem, and the paint on old planes is shot anyway.
    Last edited by Steve H Graham; 11-20-2019 at 1:09 PM.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Could it be warped?

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    Could it be warped?

I don't think so. A second-quality product has to function correctly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    I just saw an old hand plane for sale, and it has "second quality" stamped on it. I can't see what's wrong with it.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea why a company like Stanley or Millers Falls would stamp a plane "second quality." For all I know, it could be a paint problem, and the paint on old planes is shot anyway.
    It could be anything from a bad paint job to any number of reasons it didn't pass final quality control.

During my working days my Red Wing safety shoes were bought as factory rejects. It was usually some cosmetic reason for it being sold at half price. Some of them are still wearable more than a decade after leaving the job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    I don't think so. A second-quality product has to function correctly.
    Put a straight edge on it and see if it is or not. That's easy to do.

I've never seen or heard of a Stanley plane marked "Second Quality" but I'm certainly no expert. I wonder if any of the many knowledgeable folks here have though.

I saw it earlier today, the only Millers Falls plane I ever saw marked that way. It sold quickly, as I expect the collectible interest was high and the price was good even in ordinary condition.

Lee Valley sells some Veritas planes as seconds during their cyber Monday event. Those planes have only minor cosmetic imperfections-I bought one once and could not find the flaw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Put a straight edge on it and see if it is or not. That's easy to do.

I've never seen or heard of a Stanley plane marked "Second Quality" but I'm certainly no expert. I wonder if any of the many knowledgeable folks here have though.
    The sides could also be far out of square to the sole.

Reference to Stanley planes so marked has been discussed in the past, my recollecter doesn't seem to recollect where.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Here’s what the mark looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I pounced on it. I figured it might be collectible, and the price was way below similar #22 Millers Falls planes. There were some funny areas in the japanning, and my hope is that this is what got it marked down originally. If that's the case, I did good. I don't think I can get hurt on this one.

I have been wanting a #22 for a long time.

Congrats, I think you will make out fine. I almost jumped on it myself as I have a soft spot for Millers Falls planes and I expect it’s very collectible. I also already have 2 number 22s (one Gen 2 that’s NOS and one Gen 1 that I use) and with the holidays approaching, I decided to pass. Please update us when you get a chance to work with it!

Now I'm wondering if there is a way to date it. It's pretty easy with Stanleys.

It’s a Type 2, hard to say if it was pre or post WW II. I’m guessing post WW II since there is no date on the blade.

https://oldtoolheaven.com/bench/benchtypes.htm
    Last edited by J. Greg Jones; 11-20-2019 at 6:06 PM.

Thanks for that link. It will be interesting to look it over and see what its issues are.

I've got a 4 1/2 marked Imperfect. Had it for about 30 years and never found what was wrong with it.

20191123_174227_DxO.jpg20191123_174937_DxO.jpg
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Blog Entries
    The word "imperfect" jogged my memory. If you check Patrick's Blood & Gore on the page of planes #1 - #8 there is a paragraph on "IMPERFECT" being stamped in to the side.

jtk