Thread: Resawing sleds for band saws.

Resawing sleds for band saws.

Rod Sheridan recently posted pics of his BS resaw sled, which looks great. I think a thread on that subject could be helpful, and a great resource.

Please post about your sled, with pics if possible.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Here's my sled on my old 14" Taiwanese band saw, haven't used it on my current 14" Rockwell yet. I used it to cut up some cherry logs two years ago.

20171115_113731.jpg20171115_102354.jpg20171115_141359.jpg

Doug, How did you rig up the laser with that saw/jig? Looks pretty cool.

The laser is a Bushnell laser level with a magnetic base. Can't recall the details but I recall I made a bracket attached to the saw table with an L shaped arm that had a metal plate on it. I attached the laser to the metal plate using the magnet and adjusted it to align with the blade. Can't seem to find any photos that show the details. 20191120_154207.jpg

Here is my setup on my old bandsaw. It worked fairly well. I could resaw up to 8' and 11" dia.

Resaw setup1.jpgResaw setup.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Paavola; 11-21-2019 at 11:50 PM.

Here's my sled, it's a copy of the Hammer sled.

I've included a drawing of it..........Rod.

Sled.PNGCut surface.jpgLog Sled.jpg

I don't have any pictures, but I use a sled similar to Mark's, but the fence is on the inside of the blade, for making Cypress shingles. The sled rides in a 6' T-track. The fence on the sled sits at an angle (adjustable) to the blade. A length of Cypress 1x is held against the fence with a stick in my right hand, and is pushed with my left. One helper puts a board (say 28" long) on the sled, I push it through, and another helper takes the two shingles off. I can push the sled through the 24" Centauro, and pull it back, in just a few seconds. No hand is ever anywhere near the blade.

We go from a stack of boards on a trailer to a pickup truck bed full of neatly stacked shingles in about an hour.