Thread: Should I treat my French cleat tool storage?

Should I treat my French cleat tool storage?

I’m installing plywood French cleats on my recently framed wall for tool storage. The wall is osb. Should I put on a few coats of poly or something else on the cleats and holders or is that overkill?

Overkill. Get back to making things.

I don't put anything on them. I'd be worried about them sticking.

That’s kind of what I figured. Just didn’t want to get the whole thing up there and realize I should have taken the time for a finish. Thanks.

Nope, I just leave em raw. Couldnt decide a reason why to coat them with anything and I have more important things to do with them time!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

The only reason I'd put a finish on them is if there was a substantial exposure (places where they are visible with nothing on them (for future flexibility) and I somehow deemed they would be more pleasing to my eye with something on them. And in that case, it would probably be a quick coat of shellac just to add a little color, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I put a finish on for a different reason. I sometimes move fixtures to different locations. I want them to move easily. I shellac the cleats and shellac the mating pieces on the fixtures that hang on them. I also paste wax the contact surfaces. If I have a fixture full of clamps and I need it to move over about 6 inches I just give it a shove.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler