Thread: Pedestal table pedistal

Blog Entries

Pedestal table pedistal

I’m assisting my son building a 60” single pedestal table expanding with 2 or 3 - 11” or 12” leaves. (making it 72” or maybe 93” to 96” when open) My question; how big does the pedestal need to be. Is this possible or do we need to make a split pedestal that opens as the table is expanded.

I’m thinking that the parallel base leg of the base would need to be about 1/3 of the open size apps 93”/3= 31”.

any help, thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Charles

Blog Entries
    A 31" base on a 93" table would have to be so heavy that I think you'd have to resort to embedding lead weights or a whole bunch of cast iron for it to be safe. For example, my table saw weighs about 450 lbs. the extension table hangs out past the base by about 30 - 36". I the support legs under the extension are removed, it doesn't take a great deal of weight to start it tipping.

12" overhang would be fine, more than that is less fine. You could fill the base with concrete if you make it much smaller but I think 31" is not to going to be ok even when collapsed

Connecting the split pedestal with wooden scissors will be fun. Think leg vise.