Thread: Finish for Corianders

Finish for Corianders

I am making a house number project using a Corian base with brass numbers and wondering what is a good finish for the Corian. I have wet sanded the material through 600 grit paper to get a smooth finish. I am considering CA glue for a finish as I have seen it used for pen projects. A film finish like poly would not work in my opinion.
    Would this be a compatible finish for Corian?
    Thanks in advance.

I would avoid most finishes which would be less durable than the Corian material itself. Goggle Corian for exterior use.

I don’t think ca glue is very UV resistant and after all on nonporous Corian would be a film finish.

There is no finish required. As long as the Corian is the right color for your job you should never apply any finish. Sand and polish to the level you prefer and your done. Corian will last up to fifty years in exterior service without applying any type of finish.

If you need to paint Corian never sand it above 80 grit and use paint made for plastic if you can but I have never had any type of paint fail yet. A CA finish will not last very long in the sun or hold up well to thermal expansion from temperature variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    I am making a house number project using a Corian base with brass numbers and wondering what is a good finish for the Corian. I have wet sanded the material through 600 grit paper to get a smooth finish. I am considering CA glue for a finish as I have seen it used for pen projects. A film finish like poly would not work in my opinion.
    Would this be a compatible finish for Corian?
    Thanks in advance.
    You might use some brass lacquer on the numbers if it is raw brass. Nothing will adhere very well to the Corian. If you roughened it a little an automotive urethane clear coat would stick for a couple years but the corian material itself would be more durable.