Thread: Drum sanding with V3000

Drum sanding with V3000

Is anyone using the Oneida V3000 cyclone with a drum sander and getting good separation of fines? I mean not filling the filter but filling the bin? Lots of happy V3000 users but not much info on fines separation. Thx!

In the past, I have heard comments about using a drum sander and dust collectors. It is probably the most difficult task for a dust collector. I have a Super Dust Gorilla and not noticed any problems when using my drum sander.
    I have watched the pressure in the filter and not observed any change. But I suspect with heavy drum sander use, you would see more fines with any dust collector.

In my last shop I had a V3000 and a Jet Performax 22-44 drum sander with an enlarged 6" port. No doubt the drum sander was the most difficult tool to separate fines from but I got many hours of sanding in before the filter efficiency gauge indicated the need for cleaning.
    Dick Mahany.

I guess cleaning the filter after a saniding session would be in order. From what I read, it seems the Clearvue guys can go months or longer before cleaning filters. I assume the V3000 doesn’t separate as effectively at the cyclone

Oneida's separation is pretty darn good and always has been. While mine isn't a V3000, I only fine a need to "clean" the filters about twice a year outside of those times when human failure to empty the bin causes blow-by. I'm now using a drum sander and to-date, have not seen any difference, nor did I have any issues when doing a large CNC job for a client cutting MDF which produces a huge amount of very fine dust. That said, V3000 is a bit of a different design for "height challenged" situations, so perhaps its separation may not be quite as efficient as the traditional cyclone designs...nature of the beast. With a HEPA level filter, cleaning might be more frequent even without the drum sander, too, just because of the smaller particle size factor.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-20-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Vanwieren View Post
    I guess cleaning the filter after a saniding session would be in order. From what I read, it seems the Clearvue guys can go months or longer before cleaning filters. I assume the V3000 doesn’t separate as effectively at the cyclone
    I believe the V3000 is somewhat of a compromise to a traditional cyclone as it was designed to save space and cost less. The actual cyclone separator cylinder and cone are shorter than in a traditional cyclone such as the Clearvue or Dust Gorilla. I miss the one I had to give up when I downsized and if I had the space, I'd get another V3000 as it was such a good cyclone for my uses.
    Dick Mahany.

I have had exceptional results with my V2000 and Perfomax 25x2. All run 6 in line and 6-->4 adapter right at machine. My biggest issue is keeping track of bin level. I need to build the bin sensor one of these days.

I appreciate the comments. It seems the V series is very good, but expect some regular filter cleaning. Separation of fines should be better if I keep the inlet pipe straight for a few feet. I just ordered the bin sensor components from Amazon... inexpensive vs Oneida.

I also want to add a downdraft table - If I keep my runs short and stick to 6" port, the V3000 should adequately handle this as well?

I recently bought an Oneida V-3000 and have had it running for a month or so. I've been working on several projects, but the biggest by far in terms of dust generation has been sanding over 1000 square feet of tongue and groove cedar with a SuperMax 19/38 drum sander. Each board gets three passes with 60, 80, and 120 grit paper. I was intrigued by your question yesterday, and realized that with a little work, I could provide a pretty accurate answer. The details are below, but if you want to skip to the conclusion: the V-3000 captures 99% of fine sanding dust in the cyclone.

Prior to today, I had emptied the 35 gallon drum twice. The first time it was about as full as I thought it should get. The second time it only had about 4 inches of dust in the bottom, but since I had removed it, I went ahead and emptied it. Also, prior to today, I had never cleaned the filter.

So I began my day today by cleaning the filter with compressed air as Oneida recommends, and opening up the fine dust bin on the bottom of the filter. There was an inch or so of dust in the bin, which I collected in a box. I measured the volume of dust from the filter and came up with 83 cubic inches. I acknowledge that it would be preferable to use weight instead of volume, but I had no means of weighing it. There was nothing noticeably different about the filter dust vs. the cyclone dust.

Then I opened the cyclone bin and found it very full (thank you for asking this yesterday instead of next week!). I leveled out the top and measured the depth and diameter to find a volume of 7160 cubic inches for this third emptying of the bin. I believe that the first two emptyings together were at least the same volume, so for all three combined the cyclone has collected 14,320 cubic inches of dust.

The cyclone efficiency is the volume of dust collected by the cyclone divided by the total dust collected by the system: 14,320 / (14,320 + 83) = 99.4%, which I'm very happy with.

Mark. Thanks for the detailed response. That’s pretty much what I wanted to hear and gives really good feedback on the v3000 performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L White View Post
    I recently bought an Oneida V-3000 and have had it running for a month or so. I've been working on several projects, but the biggest by far in terms of dust generation has been sanding over 1000 square feet of tongue and groove cedar with a SuperMax 19/38 drum sander. Each board gets three passes with 60, 80, and 120 grit paper. I was intrigued by your question yesterday, and realized that with a little work, I could provide a pretty accurate answer. The details are below, but if you want to skip to the conclusion: the V-3000 captures 99% of fine sanding dust in the cyclone.

Prior to today, I had emptied the 35 gallon drum twice. The first time it was about as full as I thought it should get. The second time it only had about 4 inches of dust in the bottom, but since I had removed it, I went ahead and emptied it. Also, prior to today, I had never cleaned the filter.

So I began my day today by cleaning the filter with compressed air as Oneida recommends, and opening up the fine dust bin on the bottom of the filter. There was an inch or so of dust in the bin, which I collected in a box. I measured the volume of dust from the filter and came up with 83 cubic inches. I acknowledge that it would be preferable to use weight instead of volume, but I had no means of weighing it. There was nothing noticeably different about the filter dust vs. the cyclone dust.

Then I opened the cyclone bin and found it very full (thank you for asking this yesterday instead of next week!). I leveled out the top and measured the depth and diameter to find a volume of 7160 cubic inches for this third emptying of the bin. I believe that the first two emptyings together were at least the same volume, so for all three combined the cyclone has collected 14,320 cubic inches of dust.

The cyclone efficiency is the volume of dust collected by the cyclone divided by the total dust collected by the system: 14,320 / (14,320 + 83) = 99.4%, which I'm very happy with.
    Good on ya for doing that research and contrats on the V-3000!

In case you havent already checked out these links, here ya go: LINK and LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Thanks Ben - good information. I'll be implementing both of those in the near future. The dust collector came with the bin level sensor, but I just don't have it set up yet.