Thread: Minimax ST 3c interchangeable spindle

Minimax ST 3c interchangeable spindle

I am the new owner of a Minimax ST 3c saw/shaper combo unit, and am getting to know the machine. Fantastic machine, and I am enjoying it immensely. I do, however have a question for anyone out there with a MM classic machine. One of the features it came with is an interchangeable shaper spindle, and an extra spindle...

Is there any way to change the spindle without removing the tooling? The wrench for removing/changing the spindle is a large contraption that goes over top of the spindle and grabs the base, making it impossible to use with a tool on the spindle (I think).

The instruction manual says nothing, so I'm supposing it's not an available function. Just wondering if anyone could confirm/knew any different.

It's not a huge deal for me, but I could see it being handy on occasion, if there is a way to do it.

Thanks,
    Will

I can't answer your specific question, but I doubt I'd be comfortable with changing out a spindle with tooling attached for fear of either damaging the tooling or damaging "me"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No, that machine, and most SCM shapers have a dual threaded spindle. You loosen the ring with the hollow tool and then unthread the spindle. Be sure it bottoms out when you replace it. not an easy system but much more stout than a hollow spindle with a threaded rod. You can mark the spacers so you can replace the cutters exactly at the same position but you must remove the cutters to extract the spindle. I remove mine as seldom as possible. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    No, that machine, and most SCM shapers have a dual threaded spindle. You loosen the ring with the hollow tool and then unthread the spindle. Be sure it bottoms out when you replace it. not an easy system but much more stout than a hollow spindle with a threaded rod. You can mark the spacers so you can replace the cutters exactly at the same position but you must remove the cutters to extract the spindle. I remove mine as seldom as possible. Dave
    Thanks Dave. That's what I thought, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Wish the salesman had made that clearer to me. It came with a spare spindle as part of the deal, and had I known, I would have gotten two different diameter spindles, instead of two 1 1/4". Oh well.

Talk to the sales guy about swapping one for a 30mm. It might be possible to crank the spindle up enough to use an appropriately sized spanner on it but I'd try for the other spindle. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Talk to thIt might be possible to crank the spindle up enough to use an appropriately sized spanner on it but I'd try for the other spindle. Dave
    This is a really good idea, IMHO, as it opens up more tooling options.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...