Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've read the others, I've still questions. a.k.a. Dust collector decision

I've read the others, I've still questions. a.k.a. Dust collector decision

For your consideration. I'm in the decision process for a new dust collector. Currently have a PSI two-bagger which is woefully inadequate to accommodate my central duct system. Current ductwork is all 6", dropping down to four where necessary right at the machines. 40' of duct along the ceiling with vertical drops to jointer/planer, another at the TS and a last one at the end of the line at the BS, the flex hose to which gets moved around to other machines at times. The DC will be in an attached shed building that has a return duct pointed directly at the air scrubber intake in the shop, for another level of cleaning.

So, I'm deciding between the following:

Laguna c-flux 3hp
    Jet 3hp
    Oneida 3hp dust gorilla

Pros and cons below
    Laguna
    Pros
    Overall height
    auto-flapper/cleaner available
    ability to turn cyclone inlet to minimize duct elbows

cons
    reviews say too much material makes it to dust cannister (short cyclone)
    would like a 55 gallon drum (30-ish available)

Jet
    pros
    price

cons
    inability to turn cyclone inlet
    shortest cyclone

Oneida
    pros
    taller cyclone/better separation (still fits in my available o/h)
    55 gallon drum

cons
    only filter cleaning method is reverse blow out with compressed air
    price

Based on this criteria, I'm considering the Laguna c-flux 3hp. Any input to the decision? I really like that it has the auto-filter cleaner motor that is triggered by a monitored loss of static pressure. Any experience that would give me pause?

Thanks!
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe Caff; 11-19-2019 at 7:06 PM.

Before you pick a DC, I’d suggest you verify how much you need to serve your system. There is a great tutorial here:

https://airhand.com/designing/

I would avoid the C-Flux. Add in a Grizzly G0441 or G0442 for consideration depending on what your sizing says you need before making a decision. You may also want to consider a Clearview as well. Full disclosure I just installed a 5HP G0442 in my shop and if you have questions about my decision and or experience you can PM me.

Of the three you mention...no question I'd choose the Oneida, both because it's got a better design and because it comes from a company that "only" does dust collection and for many years, too. And in the same spirit as Tom, I'm an Oneida customer. Twice now. My original "little" one is still in use in a friend's shop...and I bought it in 2000.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you have an edge or drum or widebelt sander, look at 5hp cyclones. Sanding dust is hardest to collect, planers are easiest.

Don't be too concerned about the oneida not having an auto clean or paddles. The taller cyclone means filter cleaning is required less frequently and it only takes a couple of minutes. If you don't have compressed air, a cordless leaf blower works really well.

Can’t do a clear view, not enough headroom. *why* would you avoid the c flux?

Good advice, but no sanders here.

It’s more about accessibility on all sides as it’s going to be a tight squeeze in a shed. Might not be a huge issue, but I felt it necessary to list in the cons based on space.

Blog Entries
    Filter cleaning flappers worry me. I can't imagine that it would take very much of the cleaning action to damage the filter media.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Caff View Post
    Can’t do a clear view, not enough headroom. *why* would you avoid the c flux?
    The short cone is not as efficient. Honestly, for me it was between a Griz and Oneida because of the long cone design. The Grizzly won. Mostly on price and reviews from other owners that were satisfied.

About the Oneida and cleaning the filter...

I added a pressure sensor after the second time I failed to notice the full waste drum. Each time, the filter quickly got stuff the cyclone couldn't. My fault, but a mess I wanted out, to get my "like new" performance.

The pressure they say is unacceptable is 3 in H2O. I took the filter off, resting it on the floor. I stuck a vacuum hose down from the top, and used the air compressor to get the dust off the filter.

Blowing from the outside (the only choice, in the standard configuration) didn't knock much loose. Blowing inside (on a tangent) released a ton (wear a mask). Before I did that, my operating pressure was 1.5 cm H2O. After cleaning, it was 0.5. Later, when the pressure gradually worked up to 1.0, I did this again (back to 0.5 cm H2O).

I think I learned that blowing air at the filter doesn't do much (nor did using my hand to imitate Laguna's internal paddle). Cleaning the way I described seems to restore much better operating pressure, and I get several months between cleanings (using 1.0 as my threshold, instead of 3). To your original question, I'm glad I got the Oneida.

You mention a shed. Maybe a bit off topic, but my Oneida 3HP is in a shed 6" away from the shop. I exhaust right out of the shed towards the shop wall, with no filter at all. Unless I forget to empty the barrel, I see no evidence of dust on the wall of the shop.

If you are located where there is not a neighbor right next to your shed, you might consider that.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kenagy View Post
    About the Oneida and cleaning the filter...

I added a pressure sensor after the second time I failed to notice the full waste drum. Each time, the filter quickly got stuff the cyclone couldn't. My fault, but a mess I wanted out, to get my "like new" performance.

The pressure they say is unacceptable is 3 in H2O. I took the filter off, resting it on the floor. I stuck a vacuum hose down from the top, and used the air compressor to get the dust off the filter.

Blowing from the outside (the only choice, in the standard configuration) didn't knock much loose. Blowing inside (on a tangent) released a ton (wear a mask). Before I did that, my operating pressure was 1.5 cm H2O. After cleaning, it was 0.5. Later, when the pressure gradually worked up to 1.0, I did this again (back to 0.5 cm H2O).

I think I learned that blowing air at the filter doesn't do much (nor did using my hand to imitate Laguna's internal paddle). Cleaning the way I described seems to restore much better operating pressure, and I get several months between cleanings (using 1.0 as my threshold, instead of 3). To your original question, I'm glad I got the Oneida.
    When you say "blowing inside" what do you mean exactly? Taking the filter out so its open on both ends and holding an air hose in hand and just spraying the inside of the filter? If so, what PSI did you use to make sure not to damage the filter? And a respirator for sure, but did you need the vac? I was thinking this could just be done outside and let the dust go where it may.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have a Cflux. If I were buying now, I'd def go with Oneida. When I bought the Cflux, height and portability were my issues and there wasn't much out that fit. Now Oneida has great portable options.