Thread: Clearvue CV1800 dust collectors

Clearvue CV1800 dust collectors

Probably a silly question but:
    I am in the process of buying a new dust collector for my 2 car garage shop with 8’ high ceilings. If I go with the clearvue, I can only go with a 20 gallon bin. Can anyone give me an idea how long that will take to fill up when say milling hard maple?

TIA.
    john terry

Hi John, I believe I have a 30 gallon drum on my collector.

It lasts about 10 minutes when planing,

Of course at 6m/minute that's about 60 metres of material with maybe 2 passes for each piece..........Rod.

I think my grizzly has a 35 gallon drum(limited ceiling height, like you), and straight knife shavings will fill it up FAST. Like Rod says, i can fill the 35 gallon drum in under ten minutes, i bet. Here is an example for you, i jointed 1/8" pass on one face of about 60-70 board feet of 8/4 walnut and the bin was full. Conversely, i sent it through the planer(byrd head), and was probably able to go to 15ish mins of planing before emptying the bin. To process that much lumber s4s was 2.5-3 bins full of sawdust.

I wont lie to you, 20 gallon bin is going to be extraordinarily annoying, and you will always have to keep one eye on the bin/sensor. My current bin is small, but i manage. Going smaller would really be an annoyance. You are almost guaranteed to overfill it and hit your filters with a bunch of unnecessary crud.

I can fill up a 55 gallon drum with my cyclone in about 30 minutes tops if I'm processing a bunch of material through my J/P...how fast depends on the species and the resulting nature of the shavings that come off it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank You Partick,
    I am going to rethink this, as I can get an Oneida V3000 with a 35gal. Bin.

Thanks Jim, I know now for sure I cannot live with a 20 gal. Bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I can fill up a 55 gallon drum with my cyclone in about 30 minutes tops if I'm processing a bunch of material through my J/P...how fast depends on the species and the resulting nature of the shavings that come off it.

Thanks Rod, Exactly the information I was looking for.

Yea, never underestimate just how fast your planer and jointer can produce "stuff"...
    --

Putting tongue and grove on 7.5" fence board 5 feet long about fifty feet of fence filled up 30 gallon drum.
    Bill D.

I cant tell you which DC is better, but is there a way to add height to fit the cyclone? For example, the motor on my grizzly is probably 2.5" away from the subfloor and between two floor joists. This gave me another 8-10" of ceiling height to fit the unit. I remember the clearvue requiring a proper 96"+ of ceiling. I do think 20 gallons would be silly at times. I feel like my current situation is a little silly. My recent scenario was 5-6 boards. Feeding 5-6 8' boards through a planer takes no time. Its just a lot of stop and starting when milling.

Maybe a rectangular container might last longer? As in, don’t limit yourself to a standard round container, maybe building a wider rectangular container would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Maybe a rectangular container might last longer? As in, don’t limit yourself to a standard round container, maybe building a wider rectangular container would work.
    this is true. Putting some kind of deflector right below the inlet of the container can help spread the material out toward the sides of a rectangular bin, too. A pyramid or upside-down-bowl-shape might be a good choice to do that.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    this is true. Putting some kind of deflector right below the inlet of the container can help spread the material out toward the sides of a rectangular bin, too. A pyramid or upside-down-bowl-shape might be a good choice to do that.
    If your going to do that, turn a 55 gal drum sideways, cut a hole/flange into the side and add some stabilizer wedges to hold it in place.... When it is full stand it up and roll it on its edge and get it to the dump location.

I have a 35 gal container under my CV. Clearvue can help you on the phone with adjusting the motor and impeller support bolts to give you more clearance. Also you can stick the motor a little ways up b/w floor joists if ceiling is open. Call Kathy, she give helpful advice.