Thread: Keeping bark on the board

Keeping bark on the board

I'm working on a nice walnut slab and want to keep the bark. What can I use to make sure the bark doesn't deteriorate and become brittle and fall off?

My understanding is that the bark will more likely remain on the board if the tree is harvested while dormant during winter. My only experience is with walnut trees that were felled in the summer. The bark has not remain attached to the boards we cut from the logs. On the other hand, I built a cherry coffee table from logs that do have the bark attached and it is still stable on the sides of the top.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Lawrence, this is my experience and just that, so take this with a grain of salt. But it has worked for me. I have used thinned CA glue on some of my live edge bowls that had been harvested in the late spring. The bark came off easily, but after CA glue it held up nicely. I have also used satin spar varnish lightly dribbled on the bark and after it cured it has held up. For how long is anyone's guess.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

My experience is I have thinned expoxy with denatured alchol and brushed a couple coats on. I have pieces with the bark on for about 10 years now

Bob

If it's not kiln dried, you are rolling the dice that there are no insect eggs under that bark.

If it's not kiln dried, you are rolling the dice that there are no insect eggs under that bark.
    True words. Treat with BoraCare or similar borax product to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    True words. Treat with BoraCare or similar borax product to make sure.
    Borax products are preventative. They are not pesticides and will not kill eggs or larvae inside the wood.

Product description

The Long Term Solution to Wood Destroying Organisms. BORA-CARE’s patented formula penetrates deep into the wood providing long lasting protection against subterranean termites, drywood termites, Formosan termites, wood destroying beetles and decay fungi. From Nissus - The World’s Leader in Borate Technology. Contains: * Top of the line wood protection material * Special Glycol based material allows for easy penetration into the wood * Treats the wood and prevents it from being consumed by wood destroying organisms * Just spray or brush or roll on the surface of the wood * Pre-construction or existing structure treatments * Once in the wood, it will preserve the wood for a lifetime * Mix 1 : 1 with water to apply on the surface of the wood (covers about 800 sq. feet of wood) * Kills existing infestation in wood * Eliminates wood as a food source * Protects wood as long as it is in service * Over nine years of proven efficacy * Formulated with a concern for the environment * For both interior and exterior use Perfect for Termite Remedial & Pretreatments. * No more scheduling hassles - No need to leave home during treatments * Eliminates weather delays * 5-year residential pretreatment product warranty available through professional applicators * BORA-CARE Has No Known Resistance. * For Pretreatment & Remedial Prevention & Control of: * Subterranean Termites, Dry-wood Termites, Formosan Termites, Carpenter Ants, Wood Destroying Beetles and Decay Fungi

Thanks, Bob. I have some West 2-part epoxy. Assuming a 4:1:x ratio of epoxy to hardener, what is the value of x (the denatured alcohol)?