Thread: Grizzly G0766 Lathe RPM

Grizzly G0766 Lathe RPM

What is the lowest RPM your Grizzly G0766 lathe will turn and still allow you to sand and turn? Mine is around 300-350 RPM which seems fast to me that's why I'm asking the question.

Change the pulleys to give low range. Then it should be about 80 or so. On high range, mine goes down to about 180-200 rpms.

Just did that runs at 150 on low end

4. My G0766 will run on low belt pulley at 60 rpm, and if I fiddle with the pot knob, I can get it to run at 50 rpm. Top end is 3220 rpm on high pulley.

I would recommend you check with Grizzly tech support and see if they changed the inverter settings on the newer 0766 units.....not likely, but possible. I believe my unit was one of the first 5 they shipped out when they got the first shipment some years ago.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I can sand on my G0766 down to about 50-60 rpm, provided I'm using a power drill with 3" or 2" disks to sand. The sandpaper friction is not usually working directly against the motor.

If I try to sand by hand at that speed, pressing sheet sandpaper against the wood, it can stall the motor. So for that purpose, I crank it up some.

Mine goes down to around 60. If I fiddle with it I sometimes get to 50 rpms. If they haven't changed the inverter defaults, you may have an issue with the speed control pot. They cost less than 5 bucks from Griz and should be considered to be somewhat of a "consumable".

Ditto to everything Brice said!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association