Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any way to untie this knot?!

Around the farm, I m forever tieing things with rope or baler twine. Usually a granny knot if I am just going to cut the stuff later. Square knot if it will need to be untied. However, I really had to remember back and did a double half hitch a few days ago. Was down at the river this past summer and a fellow asked me to grab a line as he came into the dock. I twisted loops and put the line on the cleat. He was amazed and apparently had been snaking the line through loops to fasten to a cleat. If there is a useful skill, I learned and remember from my Tenderfoot scout days it is those few knots.

Blog Entries
    I would use needle nose pliers to untie the knot.

Have you thought of entering "How to loosen a knot in rope" into Google?
    You will get over 1 million hits including videos, articles, blog posts.

Blog Entries
    For years, I've tried to tell the Boy Scouts that one of the required knots should be an Alpine Butterfly. It's an easy to tie, and easy to untie knot that you can use to get multiple purchase on a line/rope with, but so far, most of the leaders I talk to have a hard enough time with the Tenderfoot knots.
    This one had to be looked up with Dr. Google. Like so many knots it is known by many names depending on who and where it is used.

It is what was taught to me as a Bight Loop or Angler's Knot:

Fid - Marline Spike & Alpine Butterfly Knot.jpg

It is a good knot to know if you need to make a loop in a rope/line when you can't get to the ends.

With it in the picture are two fids or marline spikes made of apple on my lathe. It may not be clear in the picture but the ends are flattened. These are great for getting between different layers of rope in a tight knot.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I learned that knot in one of the first Whole Earth Catalogs, I think in the 1970's. It was shown in a different way to tie than I have seen it since. Two twists in your hand, then the end goes down, around everything, and up through the loops. I don't remember what it was called in that WEC, but had tied it for probably 40 years, without a name, and "Alpine Butterfly" came up when I was teaching it to a group of people, by one person who recognized it. I use it all the time when tying down lumber when a strap isn't the best choice. Regardless of how tight you pull under load, it's easily released by pushing the two loops towards the line ends.

I mainly use it for multiple purchases, when tying something down.

Is this a Trucker's Hitch?

That's what I called it for a Long time, and believe that's what it was called in that Whole Earth Catalog. I had forgotten that. I don't think in words, so they evade me a lot of times. There are MANY different types of truckers hitches though. This is the only one that I know of that is easily untied, regardless of the load it's held.

I have about a 10 foot length of 1/4" yacht braid that has been tied to one corner stake pocket at the back of my pickup bed, for maybe as long as 15 years. I've been driving that truck for 19 years. It stays tied because that end is buried behind a built-in toolbox at the back that holds sockets, ratchets, and such. The tail end gets tossed over that toolbox when it's not being used. It's had some number of hundreds of those "truckers' hitches" tied in it, and untied over those years, and there is no frayed area, or untie-able knot in it. It is kind of dirty though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Thorpe Allen View Post
    Is this a Trucker's Hitch?
    The truckers hitch taught to me was similar to a sheep shank. It is used to make a loop in a rope so as to be able to put more tension on it.

Trucker's Hitch.png

It is useful when securing a load in the bed of a truck, hence trucker's hitch.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

The washing idea is also great for nylon straps not just ropes. After a dozen or so seasons the nylon tie down straps for our kayaks had become stiff and difficult to work with, a lot of it was dried salt from sea water combined with road dirt. Was almost going to toss them and go back to ropes when I got the idea to soak them in laundry soap overnight. Made a huge difference. They are now soft and flexible and much easier to use.

Whatever it's called, then, and now, the Alpine Butterfly is a much better "truckers hitch", because it's easy to untie. This is the method I use to tie it. At Boy Scout Summer Camp, I used to use it with 5/8" Stablebraid, and a 6:1 sailboat mainsheet system to tighten against it, for a ridgeline to hold up a huge tarp, for a Sun Shade. Even with that line (Tensile strength something like 15,500 lb. tree work "Bull line"), and being tensioned by the 6:1, the Alpine Butterfly was still able to be easily untied by hand.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-21-2019 at 8:22 AM.

I think that "Alpine Butterfly" is probably the way my Dad ties his Trucker's Hitch. I always just saw him do some twists and a tuck, all too quickly for me to see exactly what he was doing, and I could never figure it out, so have always fallen back to using a figure eight for the hitch when I need to cinch a load down or otherwise create a purchase -- I'll have to give that a try!

What the OP has might be the "Double Alpine Butterfly" See below. By the way, Animated Knots has a wealth of knots in the database with slow motion videos demonstrating how to tie them. Very useful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Thorpe Allen View Post
    I think that "Alpine Butterfly" is probably the way my Dad ties his Trucker's Hitch. I always just saw him do some twists and a tuck, all too quickly for me to see exactly what he was doing, and I could never figure it out, so have always fallen back to using a figure eight for the hitch when I need to cinch a load down or otherwise create a purchase -- I'll have to give that a try!
    The knot in my previous post is different from my dad's trucker's hitch. My brother ties it much quicker than me. Here is a quick shot of how it is done.

Loop & Turn Under the bight.jpg

To the right the line is secured on a cleat/pin/hook. The line goes around a hook or cleat. The slack is passed over the bight (line between the cleats) and a loop in the bight comes under then over the slack. Above where the slack rests on the bight a turn is created. (a loop is when the line doesn't cross itself a turn is a loop made with the line crossing itself.)

The loop is passed through the turn:

Insert Loop in to Turn.jpg

Pull the slack:

Pull Slack.jpg

This will enable the line to be pulled tighter than if the line were to be pulled against a cleat alone.

The alpine butterfly used to form a trucker's hitch takes longer to tie and the end of the rope has to be fed through as it can not be in the loop when the butterfly is being tied.

No matter how one ties a load, it is good practice to keep an eye on your load and to check your lines anytime a stop is made for a rest or gas.

jtk

Note: The naming of the image, "Loop & Turn Under the Bight should be ignored. It should be Loop & Turn in the Bight Under the Slack
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-21-2019 at 5:34 PM.

Sorry, but the Alpine Butterfly does not take longer to tie. It might take 2, or 3 seconds, so if that one can be tied quicker, it can't be by much. I do it a little different than that drawing, but I really can't explain it, other than rather than passing the loop under, I come back over the top, and go under, coming up through the loops. It's very easy to untie, even after being under a severe load, because you can push the loops away from each other in both directions, which makes it much easier than trying to push one surrounding loop one direction.

I do leave the tail end out until after the knot is tied, but I can put the loop exactly where I want it on the line, which comes in handy a lot of times when you are at the limit of the line length.

That's a good knot too, but I can't believe it can be tied faster than an AB.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Sorry, but the Alpine Butterfly does not take longer to tie. It might take 2, or 3 seconds, so if that one can be tied quicker, it can't be by much. I do it a little different than that drawing, but I really can't explain it, other than rather than passing the loop under, I come back over the top, and go under, coming up through the loops. It's very easy to untie, even after being under a severe load, because you can push the loops away from each other in both directions, which makes it much easier than trying to push one surrounding loop one direction.

I do leave the tail end out until after the knot is tied, but I can put the loop exactly where I want it on the line, which comes in handy a lot of times when you are at the limit of the line length.

That's a good knot too, but I can't believe it can be tied faster than an AB.
    Feeding the end of the line through is one part of how the TH illustrated in my last post is faster than using an AB. The ropes used on my truck are usually 20-25'. Sometimes the end is on the bed a few feet away. With the TH, one doesn't need to have the end to pull it tight and secure it with a cinch knot. For me, compared to my younger brother, tying a TH is slow. He can tie it faster than one can say it. Using an AB to make a loop would be slower for me.

When untying a TH, once the tension is off it can often be undone by a good shake of the line.

The AB is also one of my oft used knots. Though before it being mentioned in this thread it was known to me by different names.

One advantage the AB has over the TH is the AB is not going to capsize. The TH can capsize if it is tied in a sloppy manner or violently disturbed.

jtk