Thread: Interesting New Bridge City Plane

Interesting New Bridge City Plane

The latest issue of Woodshop news has an article on a new Bridge City plane that has an variable pitch feature...with a 60 degree range. But...ching ching!! $1500!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

jim, a fellow can`t go wrong with bridgecity. they hold their value, just a bit outa my price range though. 02 tod

I have family in Portland, and so go to Bridge City every year or 2. They are beautiful tools, but to me, most of them are not worth the price. They are more collectors than users, IMHO. There are a few, however, that are the exception. The machine protractor is awfully accurate for setting up a tilted dripp press table, and the hinged saddle square is pretty handy from time to time.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I like their Universal Squares and have the triangle ruler. I wouldn't mind a few other things but have a hard time with the idea of buying a $1,500 plane. Interesting designs and well made but for the price, I can pick up a couple of LN's or Veritas...or stick with my antiques and pick up a LOT of them for restoring.
    Brian Austin
    Phoenix, AZ

"Rule One: Well, I won't get it done sittin' here drinking coffee.
    Rule Two: The best you can do is the best you can do, so don't panic."
    -- John Gierach

5. Well, either I responded to this thread or I dreamt the whole thing. Possible. Been tired lately. ***edit*** Oh, I just saw I answered in the thread below this one.

The BCT plane mentioned is a testament to an engineering marvel--that should have remained on the drawing board, at least from a user's perspective. For a collector, it may be a decent investment one day.

There are multiple reasons why this plane is not as good as many others. For instance, the LV bevel up smoother is a far more versatile and more easily used plane.

The lowest range of angles are impractical and in the bevel down configuration, 1 degree of clearance is useless.

So it seems to me that if one intends on using the thing--use your money elsewhere or be prepared to hold onto it for a period and resell it or simply do not use it for the lowest angles.

fwiw, the adjustable plane bed is an old idea that has had at least one run at being manufactured over 100 years ago. I imagine BCT did a better job at making the adjustable bed more stable.

Take care, Mike

Good points Mike!

Mike -

As a neander newbie, I thought one plane that does it all would be the perfect tool. I've had a flyer for the VP-60 sitting in my desk since August. One would need fewer planes, and maybe a common plane would allow me to get a feel for the planing process faster. Your point on the relative usefulness of the entire range is well taken. I am now glad I kept the flyer hidden from SWMBO since she is the Bridge City member in this household, and has often bought me a present she can show off to her friends. Thanks for your analysis, you may have saved me (us) $1500, but won't know for sure until xmas morning.

rick
    "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Dave Barry

I don't have any Bridge City tools....they always seemed like collectors tools...not users as stated....a little over the top and missing the lure that you must pick it up and try it....kinda feeling. For $1500 you could by an assortment of fine user planes at different bedding angles and a fine dinner in a city with real bridges ...like Manhattan
    Or you could start collecting watches, which I have been doing for a while....an expensive hobby and if you run out of money....you will always know the time...which reminds ne I need to place a bid....yes another watch...
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 12-19-2005 at 12:23 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

If I ever "get" to spend that much for a plane, it will be Sauer&Steiner, Holtey, or some other such maker!

If I ever spend that much on a plane, I'll be dead.
    But happy!
    T.J.
    Head Piddler, My Shop

Never having lay my hands on one of the BC planes, I still think there are issues in the quality control room. There was a major problem with the Woodsmith Anniversary squares built by BC- took many, many months to get resolved.
    BC tools are beautiful, but most, not all, look like tools too pretty to use.

Bob
    bob m