Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kreg cabinet door hinge jig thoughts?

Kreg cabinet door hinge jig thoughts?

Hey Folks,

I see a Kreg jig for euro type hinges on line. About $29.00. I am building 2 cabinets out of maple for my cottage with a total of 3 doors so I don't want to spend a lot if I don't need to. If this is good enough I will go with it. Your thoughts appreciated.

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c60/h...led-hinge-jig/
    Last edited by Ron Citerone; 11-17-2019 at 6:40 PM.

For three doors, I'd just use a fence (even temporary) on the drill press. That's all I've ever done anyway, but I only built one house full of cabinets a year for a few decades.

If you're never doing this again, it's not worth buying. You can mark out your hinges with a tape measure. Any specs will be readily available online.

Completely unnecessary.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Seems to me you could make your own jig in about 10 minutes using scrap plywood or MDF.

You are only building 3 doors now, but what about the doors you may build in the future. I don't have the Kreg jig but I do have another small jig that works similar. For $29, I would buy it and add it to my tool collection. Never miss a chance to buy more tools.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    Before I got a hinge drilling/insertion machine, i just used a drill press.

Drill press with even a temporary fence and 2 stops will be more than sufficient. I do lots of doors and have only gotten a real fence in the last couple of months. This is a time that working in mm will make the setup MUCH easier. There are a couple of pages of Blum instructions that will given you everything you need to know.

For me, the trouble with using a drill press is that I'm trying to hold a big door in exactly the right position on that not-very-big table. That takes two hands. I operate the press with my third hand? Instead, I use a shop-built router jig. Put the door on the bench, clamp the jig to it, and bore the hole. Much more manageable.

I haven't used the Kreg jig, but it looks like a reasonable device. For your $30, you not only get the jig, but you also get the bit. The jig positions the hole precisely, and the depth stop ensures you don't go too deep.

+1 on the drill press with a fence. I use stop blocks on the fence, but drilling at a marked spot by eye would be more than good enough with Blum hinges; they have a lot of adjustment to make up for any small inaccuracy in height. You do want the distance from the edge and the depth to be pretty spot on, but that is what drill presses excel at.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    For me, the trouble with using a drill press is that I'm trying to hold a big door in exactly the right position on that not-very-big table. That takes two hands.
    Jamie, that is why you build a woodworking table to put on your drill press!

I have the jig and like it very much. Like mentioned it does come with a carbide tipped bit. That is worth something. I have used a drill press but for big doors it doesn't work well. I would buy the jig again.

Jamie, I have a fairly large table attached to my DP. Also have it adjacent to my SCMS which can help hold the really long doors.

If you already have a set of Forstner bits, I think the 1-3/8" is the same as 35mm. I know one of them is, but should be pretty easy to check.

thinking you maybe better off to make the jig .allows a better understanding of the process [or it did for me] .i have bought at least one jig but have made several ,improving the process as i went along . the one i use now ,and yes it is on the drill press works great. do not believe i use clamps to hold the door .jig is held in place with magnets ,https://www.amazon.com/Magswitch-Mag...4110567&sr=8-4 . useful tools that i use on many jigs .i had one hinge tool that was made up to go to jobsights , onsight work . i agree though with others the drill press is faster safer and more accurate then alot of these little jigs .there is a reason your getting this advice .

Thanks everyone. I will make up my mind soon as I will be purchasing some maple tomorrow and get started in a week or two. I am leaning toward rhe jig since I need a bit either way.