Thread: made a wooden grooving plane

made a wooden grooving plane

I wanted a plow plane but did not want to spend the cash on one today. So I picked up a 1/4 inch blade from Lie Neilson some maple, walnut and some magnets later I had made my first plane. It will do a groove 1/4 wide 1/4 deep 1/4 from the edge. I can remove the 1/4 inch walnut strip and make a groove 1/2 from the edge for blum drawer slides.

plane 1.jpg
    plane 2.jpg
    plane 3.jpg
    plane 4.jpg
    I need to open up the mouth a bit more still

Blog Entries
    Nice work, thanks for sharing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Do the magnets hold the spacer well enough? Plane looks good, when you start making them there may be no stopping!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

That is a beauty.

Nicely done--having a dedicated plane for that size would be handy.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

The removable spacer is clever.

Kudos

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Do the magnets hold the spacer well enough? Plane looks good, when you start making them there may be no stopping!
    They are earth magnets with a strong pull so far the spacer is not moving at all. I left the spacer a bit long so it is easy to slide off by pulling on it. If I have trouble down the road a small dowel pin would make it rock solid.

Great idea with the spacer on magnets! I made a 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/4" wood groover a while back just using a chisel iron. There is absolutely no comparison to having to use a plow or combination plane. Just grab it and go; no set up necessary. Very convenient for boxes and drawers.

The plane you made is a plow plane. A universal plow is one that has multiple irons and a movable fence.

You can also convert this plane to a common fillister by making an insert that fills the entire gap between the iron and the fence. (A fillister is a fenced rabbet plane; a moving fillister is one with a movable fence.) A common fillester can be used to start a rabbet, which can then be enlarged to a given size by a rabbet plane.

Both the simple plow and the common fillister are shown in Roubo's work of 1769.