Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm retired and bored . . .

I don't know your situation or health, but I know volunteer work always gives me a feeling of connection and usefulness. It has the added advantage of making my shop time more enjoyable. Perhaps you could donate some shop made items to a local charity or fund raiser.

Blog Entries
    The Wood Whisperer has a very popular Maloof style rocker project package that includes very detailed plans and videos. It's through his Guild store & is not free.

If you're interest in making a Windsor Chair this series is A M A Z I N G!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvZ...lHqkETSnajNhMw

I agree with adding a lathe. I enjoy building things the most. However, sometimes I'm stuck for a new project or an't figure out something about a design I'm working on. About 2 years ago, I bought a small lathe. Now, in between other work, I turn; mostly bowls and lately a few pens. With bowls, there are limitless shapes and each bowl turns out a little bit different than the last because of the wood and sometimes slightly different shapes. It's also very relaxing. When I get tired of turning, I go back to my other wood working. You don't have to buy an expensive lathe to start. Just be careful so the tools don't start becoming a bottomless pit.

There is a Welsh stick chair in the latest Woodsmith magazine. #246. Dec/Jan 2020. Spindles aren’t turned, no lathe needed. Uses octagon shaped legs and segmented back rail, no steam bending or lathe needed. Also U might want to make some end grain cutting boards.

small jewelry boxes of all sorts, can be fancy and take lots of time, fun projects.

I agree that getting a lathe is a good idea, my first one was traded to me for about $100 worth of twig chairs, and was a nice old machine, not very big or powerful but it was enough to turn small bowls, chessmen, etc.
    Zac

Not necessary, but for Maloof's rocker you use a lathe on the front legs. I dont care for turning, but it is a handy tool to have.

Im still in the process of buffing a sculpted rocker, but it was a challenging and interesting build. It dragged on a bit longer than i would have liked, but very gratifying piece to complete and touch/look/feel/sit in afterwards. Could springboard you into more sculpted/carved pieces.

Titanic deck chair replica if you like a challenge. Looks great, but really tests your skills.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    and I have built both these chairs.

https://www.sustainlife.org/product-...aking-courses/

I have made three craftsman rockers and five Brazos rockers.

I need a new design to build.

Any suggestions?
    Pick one of these:

Layer-14.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.