Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm retired and bored . . .

Blog Entries

I'm retired and bored . . .

and I have built both these chairs.

https://www.sustainlife.org/product-...aking-courses/

I have made three craftsman rockers and five Brazos rockers.

I need a new design to build.

Any suggestions?

Windsor chair

Hal Taylor rocker

Maloof style sculptured rocker-- maybe a two seat settee style. Or perhaps a table to set next to the rockers. Or an upholstered style chair in any style ranging from art nouveau to MCM.

Maybe something besides chairs?

John

When I get caught up on my list of builds I make boxes. There’s just no end to box designs
    Aj

Blog Entries
    I also made the Windsor chair in that collection. I would have to buy a lathe or do you think I it would be feasible to make hexagons and then plane then plane and spoke shave the edges to round? Have any of you done that?

Morris chair that reclines? Find the cushions first and modify the design so they fit.
    Bill D.

Queen Anne highboy. Carved cockle shell and all. That will keep you busy for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Morris chair that reclines? Find the cushions first and modify the design so they fit.
    Bill D.
    That's what I was going to suggest. Those look like nice chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    ... I would have to buy a lathe or do you think I it would be feasible to ...
    I recommend adding a lathe! Not only can you turn legs and such but zillions of other things. Never be bored again.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I recommend adding a lathe! Not only can you turn legs and such but zillions of other things. Never be bored again.

JKJ
    Truer words have never been spoken
    Dick Mahany.

A lathe is a good idea Lowell. Harbor Freight sells one for about $300 (less if coupon) plus another $60 for tools. I have one and it's a pretty nice (basic) machine.

An off the wall idea that I stumbled on when I was bored myself recently: chip carving. If your hands are in pretty good shape (no arthritis, etc) it will cost less than $100 to get started.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Lowell,
    What if you took up pencil and paper and set about coming up with your own designs? You could use pieces that appeal to you as a jumping off point.

I would think for yourself and your family, original pieces that were designed by you would have a special meaning. Original design takes you into the realm of models, mock-ups, iterative design refinements, but incredibly rewarding and 100% yours.

Release the Kraken!

Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    and I have built both these chairs.

https://www.sustainlife.org/product-...aking-courses/

I have made three craftsman rockers and five Brazos rockers.

I need a new design to build.

Any suggestions?
    Or maybe get into some metal working projects to augment your woodworking skills.
    David

Lowell, You can certainly make an octagon round with spokeshaves.

I've gotten a lot of satisfaction doing some green woodworking this last couple years.

I also enjoy my lathe. It gives me options in the flat world, but also allows me to use a lot of 'found' wood. I hesitate to recommend getting a lathe though, because it really can be addictive and a $$ sink. It's a wonderful complement to the flat work we do, tho. I'd recommend you visit a local turning club. The first meeting(ish) is usually free and the communities are usually SO helpful, I bet you'll be able to find a used lathe, used tools, and tutelage quite easily.