Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm retired and bored . . .

I don't know your situation or health, but I know volunteer work always gives me a feeling of connection and usefulness. It has the added advantage of making my shop time more enjoyable. Perhaps you could donate some shop made items to a local charity or fund raiser.

The Wood Whisperer has a very popular Maloof style rocker project package that includes very detailed plans and videos. It's through his Guild store & is not free.

If you're interest in making a Windsor Chair this series is A M A Z I N G!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvZ...lHqkETSnajNhMw

I agree with adding a lathe. I enjoy building things the most. However, sometimes I'm stuck for a new project or an't figure out something about a design I'm working on. About 2 years ago, I bought a small lathe. Now, in between other work, I turn; mostly bowls and lately a few pens. With bowls, there are limitless shapes and each bowl turns out a little bit different than the last because of the wood and sometimes slightly different shapes. It's also very relaxing. When I get tired of turning, I go back to my other wood working. You don't have to buy an expensive lathe to start. Just be careful so the tools don't start becoming a bottomless pit.

There is a Welsh stick chair in the latest Woodsmith magazine. #246. Dec/Jan 2020. Spindles aren’t turned, no lathe needed. Uses octagon shaped legs and segmented back rail, no steam bending or lathe needed. Also U might want to make some end grain cutting boards.

small jewelry boxes of all sorts, can be fancy and take lots of time, fun projects.

I agree that getting a lathe is a good idea, my first one was traded to me for about $100 worth of twig chairs, and was a nice old machine, not very big or powerful but it was enough to turn small bowls, chessmen, etc.
    Zac

Not necessary, but for Maloof's rocker you use a lathe on the front legs. I dont care for turning, but it is a handy tool to have.

Im still in the process of buffing a sculpted rocker, but it was a challenging and interesting build. It dragged on a bit longer than i would have liked, but very gratifying piece to complete and touch/look/feel/sit in afterwards. Could springboard you into more sculpted/carved pieces.

Titanic deck chair replica if you like a challenge. Looks great, but really tests your skills.
    I dream of a better tomorrow - where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

Two hunters are hunting in the forest. One suddenly clutches his chest in pain and collapses. The other hunter calls 911 on his cellphone. "What is the emergency?" "Operator, my friend just collapsed on the ground. I think he is dead! What must I do?" "OK, first of all, make sure he is really dead." "OK then…" BANG! "Now what?"

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    and I have built both these chairs.

https://www.sustainlife.org/product-...aking-courses/

I have made three craftsman rockers and five Brazos rockers.

I need a new design to build.

Any suggestions?
    Pick one of these:

Layer-14.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.