Thread: Unique Festool failure

Unique Festool failure

I asked SWMBO to help me vacuum up after some work. I'm not sure how she managed this, but through some mis-application of force, she vigorously pushed my Festool floor nozzle around the concrete garage floor with the roller wheel firmly not rolling. I guess if you don't know how much resistance to expect, you may not notice that it's way too much.

So now I'm ka-thunk-ka-thunk-ka-thunking around. Er...not "round"...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ouch. I wouldn't have expected that roller to wear so rapidly. If you have a lathe, maybe turn a replacement out of metal? Being a wear part I would bet Festool Ekat has a replacement listed online. It looks like the shopping carts my wife usually manages to get and I get to hear that klunk, klunk through out the store.

I can't quite tell from the pic, but it looks like possibly a wheel release clip on the side? Good luck with the fix.
    Dick Mahany.

Holy cow, Dick - you have good eyes. That is a lever, and it lifts and the wheel comes right out! I hadn't noticed that!

Now to find a replacement...

Thanks!!!

I suspect she got something wedged between the wheel and the frame/cover causing the wheel to be held in one place long enough for friction to wear a flat spot on it.

The suction alone may have been enough to hold the thing in place to cause the situation.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Cool

I'm sure a genuine replacement from Festool won't cost you more than a few hundred dollars and it's probably designed in a way that only an OEM replacement will fit.

Plastic welding should help. Use a soldering iron to displace material to where you need it. Then file it round.

Alternative is build up with epoxy.

MK

Live with the ka-thunk, ka-thunk and smile at the idea of your wife vacuuming the shop.

I made up my mind to only use it for tool collection. Saves on bags and the shop vac/cyclone for the floor.

So I would suggest 80 bucks for a shop vac and save the Festool.