Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking a "new" 7 after some misfortune...

Question Picking a "new" 7 after some misfortune...

hi all,

I has a rather unfortunate event happen today: while planing a piece of old oak a friend of mine ran my 7 multiple times over the pointy bit of a screw. The screw was fine, my 7 now has about 10 scratches in it that as shallow, but I can "hook" a finger-nail in them. I will try to rehabilitate (have float glass, have sand paper) - but being a 7 I think I'm going to end up dragging it over sandpaper for 4 days before I see a visible result - opinions on this?

My friend graciously offered to help me get a "new" 7. I currently have two offers with rather bad pictures. I'm looking for a user, not a collectors item. I currently have these two on offer from a seller I know:

1)
    s-l1600-432.jpgs-l1600-433.jpgs-l1600-434.jpg

2)
    s-l1600-435.jpgs-l1600-436.jpg

I know the pictures are terrible (I asked for more), but any opinion would help on choosing one of these.

greetings,

Bram

PS: based in Germany/Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Bram de Jong View Post
    ... has about 10 scratches in it that as shallow, ...
    That sucks, but...

What direction do they run? Remember Stanley made & sold planes with corrugated soles. It seems like a slight smoothing to remove "snags" might be all you need to keep using it.

In the "long" direction... I'm mostly worried where the scratches intersect the mouth... Wouldn't that get me into trouble?

Actually, I have a picture of the wounded 7 (trigger warning!)

IMG_20191116_172545.jpg

Bram, those scratches will not affect the use. They are more likely to effect your enthusiasm to use the plane ... until you desensitise your disappointment in regard to the scratches. I love the shiny new tool, but I enjoy the wear marks (including mishaps) that develop over time. They are like old friends and remind me of good times.

Mouth size is unimportant when you use the chipbreaker to control tearout. It is also likely to be unimportant with straight grained timbers.

There is no warranty that another old #7 will be flat. If yours is, first try lapping the sole on 100 grit (or close). Don’t be tempted to go higher (180/240) until you get the scratches out. It’t a pain in the watsit, and you may also enlist your friend to help. I’m sure that he would be keen to do so.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Bram de Jong View Post
    Actually, I have a picture of the wounded 7 (trigger warning!)

IMG_20191116_172545.jpg
    What difference does it make? We all have scars. Is there anything actionable?

This is actually a "new" Stanley 7 (i.e. 1990's) with plastic handles, but I must say that after putting a nice edge on it it performs very good and it's straight as can be. So, I'll take you guys up on this and see if I can grind it down a little!

Bram

Blog Entries
    You may not want to lap the scratches all the way as it will not only take a lot of time but will reduce the thickness of the sole a bit.

If you do take your friend up on buying a replacement, sell him the old one so he doesn't need to borrow the replacement. Kind of the you broke it, you bought it plan.

To me the second one of the two planes shown above is better for the rosewood tote even though does show a break. It looks like it might be a type 15 with the old style frog. That is a bit of a plus for me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you had scratched it you would have ownership of the scratches and live with it more easily! A light rubbing with 600 grit to remove any burrs on the scratch edges and you are good to go, some wax will help it fly. The plastic handles would bother me far more, so if you want to get rid of the plastic handles the made in England Bailey would be my choice.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    I would take my pad sander with 180 paper in it and lightly sand it and then see what to do. Follow up with a coat of Johnson Floor Wax.
    Floor wax will keep the plane from rusting.

Blog Entries
    Why are they displayed face down on brick and concrete block?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Why are they displayed face down on brick and concrete block?
    Really!!!!
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I think your plane is fine and now has some patina. However your friend needs to buy the beers next time!

As Derek said, that should not affect your performance..similiar to a C bottom with "grooves"...I'd cleaN IT UP, HAVE A BEER and start using it again....
    Jerry

Now that it's got some patina maybe it's time for home-made tote and knob. Here's my Type 19 that came with black painted hardwood. Now it sports rosewood:
    P1050803.JPG