Thread: Martin T27 Questions

Martin T27 Questions

Well finally got the T27 hooked up and ready for work. I was able to calibrate the spindle height, now I need to zero the fence, unfortunately, neither the manual nor video's online appear to help.

What I've used in the past is simply move the fence till it is parallel with the spindle and manually set the fence position to 1/2 of the spindle width this zero's the fence to the center of the spindle.

Well, I do not see anywhere to override the spindle position, there is a "Zero" button, but that is a relative zero, and not a way to zero the spindle...

I then tried to move the fence back to the center of the spindle by issuing a move - 1/2 width of the spindle so I could press the "Zero" button but the fence will not go back that far...

Hoping some people here might have one and let me know. I tried to program a rabbeting cutter and after I followed the screens, however, the bit was not moving to the correct width of the rabbet.

Thanks

Well, fiddled with it for cpl hours today. Found a screen that allows me to override the current display value so that seems to solve the issue. Lots of electronics on this machine... Sure wish the manual / instructions on the screen were better. As is they just show icons and no titles so have to guess on a lot of stuff...

There is a video of how to remove the fence and replace it, but no instruction on how to rezero the fence on the computer.

Anthony - we have a new T12, same electronics as the T27, but a few options missing. can you describe what you did to zero the spindle to the fence? thanks.

Hi Tony, Not in front of a machine right now but to zero the fence to the spindle I usually run the fence to align with the front of the spindle. Using a straight edge. Make sure you are not in any saved programs when you do this. For example, with a 30mm shaft the readout should be 15 mm. If not you should be able to change this in one of the toolbox settings. Cannot remember which one without being in front of a machine. I have found that both the T12 and T27 hold the fence settings accurately even with removing and reinstalling the fence.

i will be home in a couple days if you need help with this.

Hi David, exactly what Joe described as he taught it to me Move the fence to the front of the spindle with a straight edge across both sides of the fence till spindle touches the straight edge. Then take 1/2 the width of the spindle i.e. 30mm spindle so 15mm.. Then on the computer, top right is a "Adjust" option, it is where you zero the spindle. If you press on the button that shows the Fence with red arrows, a popup will appear. Enter the 15 and press the enter. When you move back to the home screen, the value will be 15. Now the fence is zero'd to the center of the spindle.

If you cannot find it, I can snap a pict and post it...

Something else I've noticed is that the spindle height zero function does not take into account the collar at the top of the motor. I had to add (at least in my case) 23mm to the overall height when calculating the top of the tool.

Tomorrow I'm going to start learning playing with the tool database.
    Last edited by Anthony Spotorno; 11-16-2019 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks Joe, pretty sure I found the correct screen to set the value. Your procedure came in handy and is so easy to use!!

i checked our machine.. it was dead nuts from the factory. 23.3mm spindle height to the base, and 15.875mm with the aigner fence. martin doesn't mess around. by the way, joe, jim mentioned that you had issues programming adjustable groovers.. i think i figured it out, if that's still an issue. i have both of our amana groovers in. let me know if i can help.

Hi Dave,
    Yes, I have not been able to program the Adj groovers using that part of their program. I can get the depth setting but not the shaft height for the 3 possible setting positions of tool. I think it may have to do with the spindle height you just mentioned. I end up programming them as a general cutter with only one zero position. This makes for some math to be done when using shims in the groovers. I believe if properly done in their Adjustable Groover program the math will be automatically calculated when using shims.
    would love to hear what you came up with.

Hi Dave, would you provide the procedure you used for the adjustable groovers, I have several myself I need to program. Thanks.

sure - tomorrow i'll grab pictures and get my settings and post something. thanks for the collective help, i'm just getting used to the machine. do you guys use the coping sled? (joe, i think jim said you do) if so, did you accurately measure its height in order to program copes?