Thread: Parking Lot Tool Sale

Parking Lot Tool Sale

For the last few years Tucson's local WoodCraft has held a parking lot sale for folks with tools to sell and of course those that would like to buy used tools. I'm been every time and at least for me the sale has been worth while and fun to do. This Fall's sale is tomorrow 11/16/19 starting early morning.

I will be there with at least one of my Moravian benches, maybe a shave horse, and a bunch of hand saws, along with a few planes (some modern and posh), more chisels, and other misc. tools that need to go.

If you are in or near Tucson it could be worth your time.

Hope to see you and have a visit,

ken

Blog Entries
    If you are in or near Tucson it could be worth your time.
    My last time through Tucson was a little funny. It was in the early 1970s on a Greyhound buss. There was a couple from France also on the bus. They were asking if anyone knew how much longer it was until we reached Tucksen. No one knew.When we passed a sign saying Tucson 10 miles. You could here a sigh of understanding going around the bus.

One of the cable channels recently started showing the old Tucson Territory TV program. It premiered in 1957. It is one of Candy's favorite programs. It is unwise to make any noise when the theme song is playing at the end of the episodes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ken,

Don't keep us in the dark after the parking lot sale is over. Let us know if there were bargains to be had, if you came away with any bargains, and if you sold anything. When I retire and move close to grandkids, I hope the local Woodcraft will has that type of yearly event....I will suggest it to them!

Regards,

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

Don't keep us in the dark after the parking lot sale is over. Let us know if there were bargains to be had, if you came away with any bargains, and if you sold anything. When I retire and move close to grandkids, I hope the local Woodcraft will has that type of yearly event....I will suggest it to them!

Regards,

Stew
    Stew,

Will do, it has been enjoyable and I expect this year will be as well.

ken

Once I finish this last cup of coffee I'll load the truck and head to the tool sale.

I'm taking a couple of Veritas planes and a PM v11 chisel set that I do not use. Most of the other tools are chisels that have been rescued and are never used, a few marking gauges, some unused water stones and a brace along with more saws than I can count. The big items will be a Moravian bench and a shave horse. I don't really expect to sell either of them but someone might decide they need a bench after playing on this one. The bench itself is the best sales tool I know, it is such a pleasure to work on. Folks who have not played with a Moravian bench can't conceive of a bench this portable, light, and stable all at the same time. The laws of physics dontchknow.

ken

A photo of my set up:

novToolSale.jpg

I didn’t sell any of the “big” stuff but moved a good number of chisels, stones, marking gauges, and saws.

It was a beautiful day with temps in the low 80’s and visited with a bunch of folks, some old friends.

ken

Blog Entries
    It was a beautiful day with temps in the low 80’s
    Nice, we got into the low 50s today.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Low 40's here in NC and quite windy.
    Ken did you sell that Veritas PM-V11 chisel set? I was planning on buying me one this month, might want yours if you still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    Low 40's here in NC and quite windy.
    Ken did you sell that Veritas PM-V11 chisel set? I was planning on buying me one this month, might want yours if you still have it.

Steven PM me

ken

I went to the old tool swap meet yesterday, walked around looking at the eye candy. Bought nothing. First time I ever did that. I'm so happy.

Mark, tool swap meets aren’t what they used to be. Frankinplanes with cracks and broken totes at L-N new tool prices won’t cut it.

Ken,

Were there any good bargains to be had, at least that you saw, or was most of the stuff overpriced with prices not very negotiable? Was there a good crowd that showed up for the event? Finally do you know if the Woodcraft store had a good day with lots of woodworkers looking at things to think about buying?

Finally, did anyone nibble on the idea that they might have you build a bench for them?

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 11-19-2019 at 9:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

Were there any good bargains to be had, at least that you saw, or was most of the stuff overpriced with prices not very negotiable? Was there a good crowd that showed up for the event? Finally do you know if the Woodcraft store had a good day with lots of woodworkers looking at things to think about buying?

Finally, did anyone nibble on the idea that they might have you build a bench for them?

Regards,

Stew
    Stew,

It was a good sale ranging from rust to high end tools, prices seemed within reason and there were a good number of folks there on both sides of the tables. The times I went inside WoodCraft there seemed to be good traffic so I expect they did well. I had several ask for my phone number after playing with the bench. Will any buy, who knows but there was interest. As I have said before the bench is the best sales tool because it is absolutely rock solid and everything such as the leg vise and holdfasts work smoothly and well and just by it being there showed how portable it is.

Other years I've sold a few high priced tools along with the $5 saws and $10 chisels making the take home pretty good for a morning of visiting with friends. This year no high dollar items moved but I sold over $300 of the small change stuff. The money isn't important, the reason I do it is shed all the excess tools taking space in the shop. By that standard my time was well spent. BTW, I gave a few tools to other sellers and no tools other than the ones not sold followed me home.

ken

Ken,

Sounds like it was a really good tool sale all the way around. It also sounds like you did well!

Stew