Thread: Which Optima Pen Tip?

Which Optima Pen Tip?

After a recent mishap with my cheapo unit, I'm looking to get a better pyrography kit. Initially, I plan on using it mostly for signing work, but I like the option to do more in the future (basket weave, etc.). I found several posts about the Optima unit but was curious which pen tip would be best for simple signatures. The carvertools.com website has a ton of information, but I wanted to hear from turners specifically. Based on the website I am leaning towards the 9M pen versus the 19 (has a small ball at the end) but am unsure which would be better for all-around use.

9.JPG

19.JPG

Any recommendations from others that use this system for signing?
    Thanks,
    Tom

I like the 9 tip for most signing etc.for the better heat transfer as opposed to the ball tips. The ball tips work well when i'm embellishing small turnings (snowmen ornaments, etc)
    Pat

I use burnmaster and have similar tips to these. I think the 9 stype glides better for name signing.

Thomas, I have the Optima and talked to the owner when I bought mine. He is very knowledgeable on the subject and can make recommendations depending on your work. He suggested that I try the PH9M Modified Writing Tip (Symmetrical) for signing my work. I bought it and am very happy with it. That being said, I have no experience with any other tip.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I have used the 19s for years and it works well. I prefer the signiture to not take up too much room on the piece. Hard to control depth that the pen tip goes into the wood with the 9, at least for me. I have used both.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like either will do a good job, just varying preferences.

Tom

I started with the 19S for signatures but switched to the smaller 19m which I like better.
    God is great and life is good!