Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: Piece of old iron

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Paducah, Kentucky
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    If you know how to use a mill, a drill press, not even a PM1200, can compare.
    JMO
    Yes, there is no comparison between the two. So far I started my tool fund by buying an antique dining table got $5 and flipping it after refinishing. Also have picked up a Stanley #2 for $10 that I am going to sell. Will most likely list the drill press for sale if I sell it great and if not I have a good drill.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    If you know how to use a mill, a drill press, not even a PM1200, can compare.
    JMO

    If only he could find a nice used Bridgeport for anywhere close to that price.
    David

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    2,111
    I have also wanted a pm 1200 for years. I have found two in that time. One has been sitting with a $1500 price tag local to me but no way I’m paying that for it.

    I also just assume a mill but my problem is the space. I may go with a small mill at some point. I need a good education first on what I should purchase long before that happens.

    All I can say is lucky you. For $150 that’s a deal. I’d have to tear it down and go nuts restoring it. Ever see the benchcrafted guys PM 1200. It’s freaking beautiful!

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Paducah, Kentucky
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I have also wanted a pm 1200 for years. I have found two in that time. One has been sitting with a $1500 price tag local to me but no way I’m paying that for it.

    I also just assume a mill but my problem is the space. I may go with a small mill at some point. I need a good education first on what I should purchase long before that happens.

    All I can say is lucky you. For $150 that’s a deal. I’d have to tear it down and go nuts restoring it. Ever see the benchcrafted guys PM 1200. It’s freaking beautiful!
    Most I saw locally was around $800 to $1000 in this condition. I will probably list it for that and see what I get. I would love an old Monarch lathe, Bridgeport mill and a K&T horizontal mill

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the foothills of the Sandia Mountains
    Posts
    15,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Brawley View Post
    Yes, there is no comparison between the two. So far I started my tool fund by buying an antique dining table got $5 and flipping it after refinishing. Also have picked up a Stanley #2 for $10 that I am going to sell. Will most likely list the drill press for sale if I sell it great and if not I have a good drill.
    I flipped a SIP jig bore that I bought for $500 and refurbished. I traded it for a mill & lathe, plus a 16” rotab that I still have today. I used the mill this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
    - Steven Wright

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Crozet, VA
    Posts
    226
    I bought a PM1150 a few years ago for about the same price from a local school system that was getting rid of all their machinery. Great machines.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Paducah, Kentucky
    Posts
    43
    Had a chance for a bit this morning to dig a bit deeper into it and looks like it's going to need to come apart and cleaned and lubed. Been sitting for years.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Paducah, Kentucky
    Posts
    43
    Started the tear down on it this morning and finding lots of fun little issues. Oh well I needed a winter project.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Paducah, Kentucky
    Posts
    43

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Boone, NC
    Posts
    358
    You might wander over to owwm.org and do some searches. Lots of PM 1150 / 1200 discussion and rebuilds there.
    That's just like, your opinion, man.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •