Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use for a plank?

Question Use for a plank?

Taking a little vacation after the last project. Had a "Must-do-by.." project next week...once other items arrive...have to build a box for them to nest in. Will have 1 week to get that done, and shipped on to the next person in the chain....( may even show a few photos, when done?)

Once that is done....there is still some "leftovers" of Ash in the shop. There is also a 4/4 x 6 x 8-1/2' plank to bring down to the shop...might see IF I can make a small, Shaker Style table, with drawer, out of just those "parts" ( secondary wood will be either Poplar, or Pine), including the legs...

Sound doable? Maybe a 15" x 15" top? Plank is 6" wide, but very rough on the edges. Did not see any knots, this time...never know.

Stay tuned....this might be fun...

Hi Steven,

I don't know, if you have enough of the "leftovers" ash scraps, I think you get it done. I don't think it will take much in the way of the leftovers, but I am thinking that the one plank may be just a bit short by itself. However, I have great confidence that you will figure out something good!

Stew

Might be a week or two.....BP issues....217/107...before the EMS squad hauled me away to the hospital Friday evening....got back home Saturday evening, still not feeling too good...

Think I sit back and rest up a while....

Hi Steven,

Take some time to rest and wait till things settle down a little and you are caught up on your rest. Thanksgiving day is coming!

I appreciate your posts and thank you for doing the projects.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

About noonish this coming Wednesday, a visit to the Cardio Doctor, to find out what he found out, and what he wants to do....right now, I have trouble with stairs....at lease in going up a set....

Have a saw to pick up, and two Rip saws to drop off...might do that after the visit...Sharpening Service doesn't open until 2pm, anyway.

Blog Entries
    About fifteen years ago, a friend had a heart attack. They inserted a stent.

Now he sees the heart doctor twice a year. He read a book on fitness walking and walks every morning.

Google "fitness walking".

Ex-leg Infantry....walking isn't much of a problem.

Second spell, last night...244/125.....they redid the BP meds.....they seem to think my current ones were getting out-dated....haven't been changed in over 5-8 years...130/70 when I got out this afternoon....I'm plumb tuckered out.

Backed out of the nesting box commission....take a bit of time off. May pick up a couple boards this week...have a sharpened saw to pick up, and 2 to drop off.
    Will update after tomorrow's Cadio Check up....

Well..wasn't that great of a day.....Sharpening Service was closed til Friday ( Mon, Tue, Fri, 2-6pm)

cardio Doctor visit....am now scheduled for a Heart Cath the first week of December....and a couple other meds to try.....they will be going up through the groin, instead of Radial through the wrist...might be a while before I am allowed back into the shop....

Have no real restrictions until the Cath date....decided to keep things simple in the shop....do one task a day....with a one hour time limit...no more 4-6 hour marathons....

task yesterday? Plank was slowly hauled to the shop. Placed in the end vise on the bench....
    Shaker Table Project, handsaw.JPG
    Marked out 18" per cross cut....and used this D-8, 11 ppi, 26" long saw to make 3 cross cuts. took a short break...
    Shaker Table Project, re-saw 1.JPG
    Rather than hand saw for width, or plane the edges to joint them...I set up the rip fence 3 times....once to remove the worst of the wavy edge, second to "joint" the almost straight edge, and then once more to "joint" the first edge...then clamped the 3 blanks together....
    Shaker Table Project, blanks for the top.JPG
    And let them sit a day or two....end grain?
    Shaker Table Project, end grain.JPG
    And the face grain?
    Shaker Table Project, face grain.JPG
    I dug out the scraps from the DVD Cabinet build..
    Shaker Table Project, apron blanks 1.JPG
    Can use these 2 as blanks for some of the aprons.

task for later today? Reset the fence on the tablesaw, the 3 blanks for the top are just over 4/4" thick, would like them to be 3/4" thick. Set the fence to buzz the worst off...saw blade isn't quite big enough...so...
    Shaker Table Project, re-saw 2.JPG
    After the tablesaw goes all the way around, this can clip off the ridge in the middle, then maybe a bit of handplane work, then the final run-through to get to finished thickness....then maybe a glue up? Going to rest up a bit...might head to the shop later today.

Stay tuned....

Shoptime...Begin @ 1500hrs....end @ 1615 hrs....15 minutes overtime. Set up the saw's fence...
    Shaker Table Project, saw set up 1.JPG
    Even with the blade all the way up....
    Shaker Table Project, thinned down.JPG
    Can't reach the center of a 5-1/2" wide board....tried the bandsaw, to remove what was left...
    Shaker Table Project, bandsaw mess.JPG
    Did not go well...tried to clean up with a couple planes...
    Shaker Table Project, cleaned up.JPG
    More work than I need to be doing....reset the saw a few times...ripped the 3 blanks, right at the top of the saw blade cuts....then set the fence, and ran all 9 blanks through on edge, to get to 3/4" thick...then clamped the stack together...and called it a day..
    Shaker Table Project, quitting time.JPG
    Tomorrow, maybe, I'll lay these out flat, sort through for the best looking pattern of the grain....might even glue it up into a panel?
    Stay tuned...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 11-21-2019 at 5:43 PM.

Kind of slow, today?

Cleared a flat space...
    Shaker Table Project, cleared off.JPG
    Biggest flat area in the shop....slap a plywood panel down..and do a 1st sorting..
    Shaker Table Project, 1st sorting.JPG
    Not quite right...do a second sorting....
    Shaker Table Project, 2nd sorting.JPG
    Meh, a little better....rotate the mess...
    Shaker Table Project, rotate 1.JPG
    Then rotate the parts for a bead of glue..
    Shaker Table Project, rotated for glue.JPG
    Spread the bead a bit, mooshing the part around until it "sticks"...then add a few clamps & cauls...
    Shaker Table Project, clamps and cauls.JPG
    And let it, and me sit a day....maybe 1/2 an hour's work?

May try to lay out blanks for the legs, tomorrow...
    Stay tuned...

For my One Hour of Shop Time today....Removed a few clamps..
    Shaker Table Project, top out of clamps.JPG
    So I could clear off the tablesaw...and make a mess...
    Shaker Table Project, tablesaw mess.JPG
    Ripped two planks to 2" width...lots of wavy edges, and faces....by the time I was done....had 6 blanks at 3/4" x 1-5/8" x 20"...

Then matching the grain patterns between each pair of blanks...spread some glue, and clamp them up....
    Shaker Table Project, leg blanks 1, 2.JPG
    Had enough to make 3 out of the four legs....had to use the vise..
    Shaker Table Project, leg blank 3.JPG
    To keep things from slipping around....I intend to taper two sides of the legs....leaving the best looking faces alone...

Looks like I need to "Road Trip" and buy a stick or two of Ash....
    Stay tuned...

Well...hauled a 1 x 6 x 5' Ash plank to the shop. Atkins No.65 to cross cut twice. Then, since both my rip saws are out to be sharpened...tablesaw came next. Ripped a few strips.

Glued up the better of the bunch,
    Shaker Table Project, 4th leg glue up.JPG
    So that leg #4 is getting done. Two other strips..
    Shaker Table Project, bread board blanks.JPG
    Needed trimmed for length, to make blanks for the bread board ends...
    Shaker Table Project, ends trimmed.JPG
    And stashed them both here...and still had enough to get some apron stock...
    Shaker Table Project, apron blanks.JPG
    Figure I can cut the best out of these three...may even see about a drawer?
    Other three legs are out of the clamps..
    Shaker Table Project, 1st 3 legs.JPG
    And was able to square both ends..
    Shaker Table Project, ends squared.JPG
    Need to clean the glue joints up, and start on tapering 2 sides of each leg....
    Shaker Table Project, oops.JPG
    may have used a tad too much glue?

Stay tuned...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 11-27-2019 at 4:45 PM.

Today was Turkey Day, due to everyone's work schedules....sitting here stuffed at the moment...doubt if the shop will open, today.....maybe tomorrow. Need a nap, right now.

Next Tuesday is the Heart Cath.....up in Lima, OH. Then I have to be a good boy, until the plug heals...

Stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Might be a week or two.....BP issues....217/107...before the EMS squad hauled me away to the hospital Friday evening....got back home Saturday evening, still not feeling too good...

Think I sit back and rest up a while....

Dang. Are you doing better? That's dangerously high BP.