Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quiet Air Compressor for Wide Belt Sander, How many CFM do I need?

Alan, Darcy has a VERY large shop operation...it's not a hobbyist situation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I can't imagine. Wow!! What do you do that needs a 200 gallon tank? I've never seen one remotely that big.
    Like Jim said, I have a big shop. I did luck out and the entire thing was hard piped for air. Main line is 2" and probably 200 feet long.

When I get everything hooked to air, I may not have enough air storage.

My compressor kicks on about 4 times a day, 45 second refill.

The best, small quiet compressor I ever owned is my 12 year old makita. It has been beat to death, never changed oil, great compressor.

I just looked at my present Craftsman compressor, FWIW. It's rated at 6.0HP max (yeah, right ), 2.0 HP running (probably the real number). 33 gal tank, 8.6cfm at 40psi, 6.4cfm at 90psi. 120V, 15A, 1 PH.

Clearly that's sufficient for my wide-belt, and most other things I have used it for. It was meh the few times I used air wrenches.

I'm not sure how much I can trust the CFM ratings of compressors (maybe I can, but I'm always skeptical with tools). Do I need to get a compressor with a little overkill in CFM, or can I trust the ratings?

I was thinking of a 2HP, 110V unit.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have a Rolair VT25BIG which is rated at 6.5CFM at 90psi. Small and can be wheeled around. Very happy with it. It's identical to a similar Makita model.

I'll chime in late. I recently got a Kobalt 60 gal., 3 HP, 2 stage, V twin, that's rated at 11 cfm, which is good enough for everything I do, including blasting in a cabinet. I am really pleased with how quiet it is, compared with other, smaller compressors I've owned. Also, you can't beat that price!

Anyone have any experience with Eagle Silent Series Compressors?

The Eagle 2-HP, 20 gallon compressor (EA-6500) states 53dB at 25 feet, while the 2-HP, 10 gallon California Air Tools (10020CAD) states 70 dB at 20 feet, which is a significant difference.

What I like about the California Air Tools model is the already installed automatic drain valve, but the tank is only 10 gallons. But the specs on the Eagle are even quieter (if they can be believed. 53dB is amazingly quiet, especially for a compressor) The folks at Air Compressors Direct, who I asked about both of them, state that they are both very quiet.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

I seldom use air so I have a ball valve on the output of the tank. I had to replace the check valve so it holds air for weeks at a time. It will lose pressure even with no leaks as the air cools down. But this is under a 10 PSI pressure drop. The highest output temperature I have seen was under 150 F with ambient around 85F.
    Bil lD.

If you want reasonable air volume and a quiet workshop, you need a rotary screw compressor.

Rand have some info here. Chinese versions will be cheaper.
    https://www.ingersollrandproducts.co...solutions.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Manning View Post
    If you want reasonable air volume and a quiet workshop, you need a rotary screw compressor.

Rand have some info here. Chinese versions will be cheaper.
    https://www.ingersollrandproducts.co...solutions.html
    The rotary screw compressors look great. But are roughly 4 times the price I want to spend. Oh well.

Any info on that Eagle Silent Series? Anyone have one?

Blog Entries
    This machine is nearly silent, has on-board fans and is rated for continuous duty. These are made to be used. I decided on this machine rather than the current crop of quiet compressors from the box store because of the reviews that many of them get, seemed like for every happy customer there was someone else complaining that their compressor was dead after a year.

I hunted this down on eBay for what I felt was a reasonable price, replaced a few minor parts and she purrs. Runs the Maka, runs small air tools, vacuum press, etc.

Beautifully built, well made, neatly planned interior, quality parts. My coffee machine is louder.

Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 11-25-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

From the specs, your Grizzly sander only uses air for tracking & tension, so air volume consumption will be minimal, and one of those Eagle compressors should easily cope. (If it has pneumatic cooling & belt cleaning you would need a large volume industrial compressor)

Here is a discussion you may be interested to read: https://www.woodworkforums.com/f155/...-sander-211404

I have an Australian equivalent to the Eagle EA-4000 "silent" compressor - while its significantly quieter than my old belt driven compressor, it's not silent!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post

Beautifully built, well made, neatly planned interior, quality parts. My coffee machine is louder.
    And it provides a nice flat surface to put your coffee maker and steaming cup of joe while you're working.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Manning View Post
    From the specs, your Grizzly sander only uses air for tracking & tension, so air volume consumption will be minimal, and one of those Eagle compressors should easily cope. (If it has pneumatic cooling & belt cleaning you would need a large volume industrial compressor)

Here is a discussion you may be interested to read: https://www.woodworkforums.com/f155/...-sander-211404

I have an Australian equivalent to the Eagle EA-4000 "silent" compressor - while its significantly quieter than my old belt driven compressor, it's not silent!!
    Thanks for the link, Ross. And now I learned what "Bugger-all" means.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    And it provides a nice flat surface to put your coffee maker and steaming cup of joe while you're working.
    Ooooohh!!!!! Now we're talking.