Thread: Do you have identity theft protection ?

Blog Entries

Do you have identity theft protection ?

Do you have identity theft protection? If so, what do you use?I
    Thanks
    Dennis

Our insurance provides some benefits and we have monitoring. (Both of us were affected by the OPM break a number of years ago and get free monitoring essentially "forever") One of the best things you can do is to lock down your credit reports with the three major providers which for most folks isn't going to cramp your style unless you are a "frequent new account" type person. Your data is absolutely "out there" so the best you can do is make it more difficult to be used...locking the reports down is very helpful with that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't. Identity theft protection is monitoring your reports for change and my credit card and my password manger both do that. I put a freeze (not a lock) on all 3 credit agencies years ago. Nerd wallet has a good article describing identity theft protection and makes a lot of good suggestions.

We were able to request a "rider" on our homeowner's policy. If a recall, it added $2.00/year to our premium. We also have freezes on our credit reports.

Yep - several coverages in fact.
    Three of our bank accounts offer it free & another 4 of our credit cards offer free protection.

I also have coverage by one of the nationally advertised companies that we somehow picked up for no cost - via some settlement or another.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...