Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Small Mental Lapse

One Small Mental Lapse

So, I was refilling my CA glue activator bottle, or so I thought. Absent mindedly I picked up a half full bottle of clear CA glue and squirted in a half a bottle of activator. Almost immediately I realized my mistake and tried to toss it away. Too late, the bottle exploded in my hand. Glued all my fingers together and made a big mess.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. I almost did not click on the title because I thought it would be a story about missing digits or limbs.

Not as bad as your experience but I used to store both my CA glue and activator (both in " sealed containers") in a larger sealed container. A month or so later the CA glue was hard as a rock in the ".sealed container". Glad you were able to unglue your hands, how did you do it?

Thanks for posting that. Now that it's over (and you weren't hurt), it's kind of funny.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Not as bad as your experience but I used to store both my CA glue and activator (both in " sealed containers") in a larger sealed container. A month or so later the CA glue was hard as a rock in the ".sealed container". Glad you were able to unglue your hands, how did you do it?
    I store the CA in a sealed container but the activator up on the shelf. Putting desiccant beads in the CA container helps preserve the CA since moisture is an activator.

CA_glue_storage_IMG_5481.jpg

JKJ

A new entry in the museum of modern Art. Just don't mention that it was an accident, make out that you slaved for months to make it appear like an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I store the CA in a sealed container but the activator up on the shelf. Putting desiccant beads in the CA container helps preserve the CA since moisture is an activator.

CA_glue_storage_IMG_5481.jpg

JKJ
    Great idea John, thanks for sharing this.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Did you unglue your fingers or are you looking for a special mitten?

Im glad you didnt get hurt.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Great idea John, thanks for sharing this.
    I came up with this idea a bunch of years ago after reading how water is an accelerator and how permeable most plastic CA bottles are to moisture in the air. I told a friend and he implemented it immediately the desiccant idea but just as quickly I plum forgot about it! A few years ago he told me how well it had worked for him so I finally did it myself. I use the blue indicator desiccant beads and recharge them in a toaster oven when they start turning pink.

I see now that Mercury Adhesives comments about storing opened bottles of their CA in dry containers: http://www.mercuryadhesives.com/inde...keep-ca-fresh/

I have no financial interest in the company but I'm quite impressed with their glue, bottles, caps, and warranty. (Unconditional, search for warranty: http://www.mercuryadhesives.com/index.php/blog/ or just look here: http://www.mercuryadhesives.com/inde...y/general/faq/)

For those interested, I think this section of their blog/FAQ is worth reading: http://www.mercuryadhesives.com/?s=moisture

JKJ

"That said"....look at this as an artistic opportunity. That's a sculpture that celebrates the fact that woodworkers are humans, too. Cut it out and put it on display. It's even already mounted to a nice base!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    At a Lowe's somewhere many years ago someone squirted CA glue onto a toilet seat in the mens' restroom.
    They had to remove the seat and, with him still glued to it, carried him through the store and into an ambulance.
    That would make your day!

You are probably very lucky it wasn't worse.

Blog Entries
    I was wrong. It was at a Home Depot.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/9911744/ns...es-home-depot/

Interesting...did it release heat when it kicked off? (I've never used the activator, just water or spit, so I don't know...)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I was wrong. It was at a Home Depot.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/9911744/ns...es-home-depot/
    Thanks for the link. I was thinking that it must be an urban legend. What a truly awful experience that must have been. Personally, I always give public toilet seats a good look before enjoying that moment of ease.