Thread: Should I fill these cracks?

Should I fill these cracks?

I'm finishing some 1" thick black walnut. I've never worked with walnut before. It has small cracks and gaps around knots, as well as a few shallow "gouges". None of these appear to go all the way through the board.

Walnut1.jpg Walnut2.jpg

I'm planning on finishing the piece with Waterlox.
    1. Would you recommend filling these with epoxy?
    2. Would the epoxy work in those shallow gouges or will it just come out when I sand the board?
    3. Would 5 minute epoxy be OK or should I pick up some longer setting (thinner) epoxy?

Thanks!

If you want a smooth surface, then filling them is going to be necessary. I generally use resin for this and usually tint it with dye so it blends in well. Here, I'd get a brown/black color that would pretty much emulate the color of the knots and inclusions. It will not "come out" when you sand it. Level to the wood with 80 or 100 grit and then sand the piece normally. There may be a slight sheen difference on the fills with something like Waterlox, depending on which formula and sheen you choose for your project. 'Nature of the beast...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you want a smooth surface, then filling them is going to be necessary. I generally use resin for this and usually tint it with dye so it blends in well. Here, I'd get a brown/black color that would pretty much emulate the color of the knots and inclusions. It will not "come out" when you sand it. Level to the wood with 80 or 100 grit and then sand the piece normally. There may be a slight sheen difference on the fills with something like Waterlox, depending on which formula and sheen you choose for your project. 'Nature of the beast...
    Thanks Jim! I ran a test with some epoxy and sanding dust for color and it looks like it's going to work great.