Thread: D-shaped trash can

D-shaped trash can

The guys who trimmed my trees last week had a very useful widget: a roughly 30-gallon trash can that was flat on one side so you could lay it on its side and rake leaves directly into it, so from the top it was roughly D-shaped. Searches on Google/Amazon/HomeDepot etc yielded zilch, probably because I'm using the wrong search terms.

Any clue what such a thing is called and/or where I would get one?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I searched half round trash can and found some smaller options.

Also found this. Is this close?
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/INCREDIBLE-...th-Lid/3381468

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    I searched half round trash can and found some smaller options.

Also found this. Is this close?
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/INCREDIBLE-...th-Lid/3381468
    Yup, thanks, that's the one...as usual, I found it while I was waiting for responses.
    (I tend to forget about Lowes because it's way over on the other side of town, vs the Home Depot 3/4-mile away.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Thanks for posting that. The listing says there are 14 in our Lowes, and I have never noticed them before. Cheap too.

I found a heavy-duty version that looks more like what I saw: http://www.catchycan.com/ . As near as I can tell, they only started making them earlier this year and they're pretty limited availability, this is the only source I could find: http://clscatalog.com/index.php?main...oducts_id=1487

I'll keep it bookmarked in case the Lowes one looks too flimsy, which seems to be the gist of some of the negative reviews...not sure it matters at that price point and for my usage level.

Thanks Nathan and Lee, I am getting one of those today.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

OK, tried it out and have only one objection: it has three times as many handles as necessary. The big one on the "back" (opposite the flat side) is the only really useful one, the two on the side get in the way if you want to lay it in the gutter and run blow/rake into it along the curb line. In case that wasn't clear, I blow everything to the driveway, down into the street, then back against the curb to get it in a concentrated pile. The handle leaves a gap that stuff can escape around when working the pile into the can.

Think I'll cut at least one of them off.

Drat, my Lowes doesn't carry it. I will try another when I get a chance.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Drat, my Lowes doesn't carry it. I will try another when I get a chance.
    Usually the Borgs will ship on line orders to be delivered to a local store.

Shipping & Delivery Available.jpg

It is in the lower right corner.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What about getting a Bag Butler? Much easier to store when not in use, can be used with trash bags, light weight, etc. i had one for a couple decades and wore it out!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

I found one at another Lowes store. Got it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.