Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workshop ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by sean meltvedt View Post
    Reggie-I do have a drop ceiling and love it. It the overall height after install is 9’4”. The ceiling took about 5” to clear obstacles and troffer light installation. As has already been stated, noise reduction was awesome.
    Cheers
    Sean
    Mine is def not free. I paid $125 for 8 led troffer lights but I'll need at least 8 or 9 more. My ceiling height is 8' 7" so it would be about 8' 2" after drop ceiling. I got the 2' and 4' crosses for cheap (like $20 for the box) but paid $155 for a box of 20 main beams and about $60 for the wall angle. A local guy is selling tiles for $35 per box of 10. So def not free.

Putting up stirngers and screwing up hardboard would be cheaper (by a bit) but I keep thinking I might like the look (white) and the convenience of the drop ceiling in case I have need to get up above the ceiling for anything.

Screwing up boards might be less expensive, but as I noted above, the sound-deadening properties of the drop ceiling material is really noticeable. My shop is a completely different space that's easy to spend full days comfortably in now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you get fiberglass ceiling tiles, (yellow fiberglass with white plastic facing) at the big blue box store, you can bend them in half and stuff them thru the grid. They will pop back flat. Using these you can put the grid up close to the trusses or joists and get a little more clearance. Around 8' every inch is golden. You will have to put your lights between the trusses or joists.

Adding a ceiling was a big improvement to my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Burnett View Post
    Yes I mean 5' centers. As I said they were not installed intending to carry load. I have thought about adding 2x4 vertically on each side of the peak running from the top down to the bottom of the truss thinking that would strengthen them. I guess I'll be comparing weight of a drop ceiling with my troffer lights vs 7/16" OSB with my flourescent bar lights to see not only which one is cheaper but also lighter.
    Be careful. Trusses are engineered to spread/share the load in a specific manner. Some members are designed to be in compression, some in tension. The members are designed for specific compressive and tension forces. Adding a piece may shift some forces to a member not designed to carry that additional load. Be especially careful if your bottom chord is.... never mind with the qualifiers; just be careful.
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 11-18-2019 at 3:32 PM.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.