Thread: 1939-1941 Delta 6" Jointer

1939-1941 Delta 6" Jointer

I just picked up this Delta jointer for 80 bucks locally. I know its a 1939-1941 based on the badge. it is a 6" jointer with a beefy stand I presume is home made. It has a 3/4 HP craftsman motor on it and seems to work pretty well. I have not yet found a model number. I dont know if this was a good score but it should be quite useful in the shop. Any info on the old delta jointers is appreciated.

Thanks all!

20191112_114841[1].jpg

That’s cool looking setup. I like it.
    I don’t have any info for your jointer. Sorry

Good Luck
    Aj

Good looking machine.About the only thing that can go wrong with jointers is cutter head bearings or electricals (motor,switch ,etc). Like that base,looks way easier to work around than the original ones.

I am very happy with it. It seems to function very well. I need to adjust the out-feed table a little, as there is some snipe at the end of boards but I picked up an old delta lathe today too so I haven't played with it much yet. The base is nice but it is very heavy. The bottom of it is a 2' square of 5/8" steel. I dont plan on changing it but it is not light, haha.

easy to mount casters to that base. Dos the head have jack screws to adjust the knives?
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    easy to mount casters to that base. Dos the head have jack screws to adjust the knives?
    Bil lD
    I think I found a good spot for it where it will hopefully not have to move often, but I was considering casters. Yes it does have Jack screws on the knives.

Aaron

Missed the $80 bucks part first time. yes that is a score....

Visit owwm.org and vintagemachinery.org for information on those. On the OWWM forum you can find a bunch of restoration threads on those machines.

I'd say that's a nice score.

I used one of those for a couple of years before I found an 8". It's a nice little machine. Longer beds than the total 3' length make things easier, but it's certainly a capable machine.

Awesome! I thought it was a score. I have a small fleet of vintage Delta machines now. I am really attracted to vintage machinery and couldn't pass this up when I found it. I believe I the gentleman who used it passed away and I bought it from his daughter. I also scored a Stanly industrial router model .02 for 20 bucks from the same shop. I thought about buying new blades but these seem to cut well and it looks as if I could sharpen them an infinite amount of times so I think I will hold off for now. My next mission is to set the out-feed table height correctly. it leaves about an inch of snipe on the end so I think the table needs to come up a hair.

Thanks all for you help!

I take a decently flat board and feed it several inches past the cutter, keeping pressure on the infeed. Turn off machine, raise outfeed table until there is no gap with the jointed portion of the test board (check that it doesn't lift off of the infeed). You can leave a thousandth or two gap if you want, but as long as boards don't get hung up on the lip of the outfeed then I like it this way, no snipe at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Widmyer View Post
    I am very happy with it. It seems to function very well. I need to adjust the out-feed table a little, as there is some snipe at the end of boards but I picked up an old delta lathe today too so I haven't played with it much yet. The base is nice but it is very heavy. The bottom of it is a 2' square of 5/8" steel. I dont plan on changing it but it is not light, haha.
    The hand crank under the out feed table should raise the table enough to eliminate the snipe. I have an almost identical Delta 6" jointer and the name badge with the serial number is mounted on the back side right near the drive shaft for the head.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    I take a decently flat board and feed it several inches past the cutter, keeping pressure on the infeed. Turn off machine, raise outfeed table until there is no gap with the jointed portion of the test board (check that it doesn't lift off of the infeed). You can leave a thousandth or two gap if you want, but as long as boards don't get hung up on the lip of the outfeed then I like it this way, no snipe at all.
    This is a good bit of advise. I will try that today and hopefully that will fix the problem. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The hand crank under the out feed table should raise the table enough to eliminate the snipe. I have an almost identical Delta 6" jointer and the name badge with the serial number is mounted on the back side right near the drive shaft for the head.
    Good to know. I will take a second look where you said the serial number would be. I have looked all over the dang thing but haven't found it. Maybe the second times the charm.

Thank you,
    Aaron

Just thought I would update everyone. I raised the out-feed table as per Robert Hazelwood's post. It now cuts beautifully with no sniping. Thank you all for your info and help! I am up and running and ready to start using it on projects.

Thanks all,
    Aaron