Well, I've jumped into the exciting world of buying tools at auction. I recently won a 3ph '220v/440v' Wilton 20 inch disc sander from a place ~10 miles from my house. Pickup is tomorrow.

Given the price I paid for this thing, I have some leeway to get it running. Obviously I'd like to do this as inexpensively as possible, but I also want a quality tool. Given that, I have a few questions for those who have done this before.

First, I'm assuming that when I go to pick it up tomorrow with my Tacoma Tacoma pickup they'll help me load it, atleast with a forklift. It looks like total weight on this thing is roughly 500lbs. Am I wrong? I'll bring a dolly with me, but I can't bring an engine hoist.

Second, when I get it home I'm going to go over it and look for damage. None was listed, but I understand the risk of an online-only auction. I'd like to test the existing motor before I commit to a VFD (in case I just need to buy a new motor I'll go single phase). Is there any way I can power this 3 phase 3 hp motor, even if temporarily, to make sure the bearings are ok?

Third, which type of VFD should I get for this thing? It was listed as a 220/440v 3 phase motor. I only see a 220v option or 440v option when I search for a new Wilton, so I'm hoping I got the 220v model. I'm a home shop so I won't put very heavy use on this thing.