Thread: Bandsaw or 2x72 belt grinder - Cant Decide

Bandsaw or 2x72 belt grinder - Cant Decide

Morning All,

I really want to make some knife handles from knife blanks. I made a chefs knife for my sister for Christmas last year and want to make a seat of steak knives for myself. I'm ONLY doing the handle, no blade or edge work.

Using a vice a rigid oscillating sander to form the handle was kind of a pain. I was using the back of the sander where the was sand in the belt in order to form and radius correctly.

Soo.......naturally I wanna build or buy a 2x72 grinder. There a lots of plans for cheap or free and some are bolt together. They require drilling and tapping some holes but if it's $300-$400 cheaper than a prebuilt, it's worth it for me. I haven't got quotes so see what having parts cnc or water jet cut would cost. With the grinder I think I can do sets of knives handles and sell them locally.

Or...

Buy a bigger bander saw. Currently have a 14" and lust after a 18" with 2+hp motor. I think I'd get more use out of the grinder right now honestly.

Any thoughts on either?

Buy a used 6x48 belt sander and a used bandsaw?

Get a 2x36 sander and a new motor for the bandsaw. Unless you start building 2 dozen knives a week, the 36" will work fine for $325. I assume you already have a riser block on the bandsaw. 2hp motor is $245.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Morning All,

I really want to make some knife handles from knife blanks. I made a chefs knife for my sister for Christmas last year and want to make a seat of steak knives for myself. I'm ONLY doing the handle, no blade or edge work.

Using a vice a rigid oscillating sander to form the handle was kind of a pain. I was using the back of the sander where the was sand in the belt in order to form and radius correctly.

Soo.......naturally I wanna build or buy a 2x72 grinder. There a lots of plans for cheap or free and some are bolt together. They require drilling and tapping some holes but if it's $300-$400 cheaper than a prebuilt, it's worth it for me. I haven't got quotes so see what having parts cnc or water jet cut would cost. With the grinder I think I can do sets of knives handles and sell them locally.

Or...

Buy a bigger bander saw. Currently have a 14" and lust after a 18" with 2+hp motor. I think I'd get more use out of the grinder right now honestly.

Any thoughts on either?
    When you say "cnc or water jet cut" - are we talking about wood parts or metal? I had assumed you were using wood for the handles. I'm not sure if having a bigger bandsaw will help you shape the form and radius you mentioned. If these are wood, then how about one of the smaller cnc wood routers to shape the handles. Once you make the first one, you could really pump them out in quantity if your sales pick up.
    David

Only you can decide what you will get the most use out in the immediate future

If I understand the OP correctly the desire for a bigger or better bandsaw is separate from wanting to make knife handles more efficiently. I doubt having another bandsaw will accomplish that goal. However, a belt sander will definitely help the process. Unless you really want to make a belt sander I agree with most of the others and just buy one, the best within your budget. A 2x72 is probably the best of the lot for knife making but others will do as well. I made the 2x72 designed by Jeremy Schmidt and found the build very satisfying and useful. Be prepared to lay down about $800 though for just the parts and a ton of time. If you decide to buy a smaller belt sander to get started you will find that it will also be extremely useful in a belt grinder build.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    If I understand the OP correctly the desire for a bigger or better bandsaw is separate from wanting to make knife handles more efficiently. I doubt having another bandsaw will accomplish that goal. However, a belt sander will definitely help the process. Unless you really want to make a belt sander I agree with most of the others and just buy one, the best within your budget. A 2x72 is probably the best of the lot for knife making but others will do as well. I made the 2x72 designed by Jeremy Schmidt and found the build very satisfying and useful. Be prepared to lay down about $800 though for just the parts and a ton of time. If you decide to buy a smaller belt sander to get started you will find that it will also be extremely useful in a belt grinder build.
    Yeah, I was in a hurry and didnt type clearly.

I'd like a larger bandsaw and sell mine AND would also like a 2x72 grinder to make knife handles....which would also turn into making knives probably down the road.

I've found plans for a bolt together 2x72. It would require I find a cnc shop or waterjet place to cut the 3/8 steel parts for me. I've read it's anywhere from $300-$900 in parts and labor depending on region.

$800 does look like a conservative cost for a 2x72. Many are $1200 with a 2hp motor with VFD.

This grinder is $20 for plans but is a weld together model.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/90/e2...7ef49dee01.png

Yeah, I was in a hurry and didnt type clearly.

I'd like a larger bandsaw and sell mine AND would also like a 2x72 grinder to make knife handles....which would also turn into making knives probably down the road.

I've found plans for a bolt together 2x72. It would require I find a cnc shop or waterjet place to cut the 3/8 steel parts for me. I've read it's anywhere from $300-$900 in parts and labor depending on region.

$800 does look like a conservative cost for a 2x72. Many are $1200 with a 2hp motor with VFD.

This grinder is $20 for plans but is a weld together model.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/90/e2...7ef49dee01.png

That is the Jeremy Schmidt design and the one I built. I used square steel tube instead of making the 2 main sections out of flat stock, which reduced the amount of welding. If you shop around you should be able to find a used 3 phase motor at a considerable savings. The cost of a VFD can also be reduced a lot by not using the one Jeremy (and I) used. They are plentiful and just as effective. You'll just have to go through the hassle of programming it. I paid less than $100 in steel for my build and had someone cut most of the pieces using a CNC plasma cutter for about $35. All told I think someone with a lot of patience, effort and shopping around could build this for less than $400. It's also a good learn to weld project.

For that kind of money I would just buy one of these (See Photo and Link Below). I own 3 of them, they are top-quality Taiwan built, and would be prefect for knives and such.

The Jeremy Schmitd grinder looks nice as well. I followed his build on Youtube when he first got started on it. But a bunch of time to build, some serious money for parts, and this assumes that you have a welder, grinder, drill press, and some of the other metal working tools associated with the build.

David

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...SABEgIOZPD_BwE

Grizzly Knife Belt Sander.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    That is the Jeremy Schmidt design and the one I built. I used square steel tube instead of making the 2 main sections out of flat stock, which reduced the amount of welding. If you shop around you should be able to find a used 3 phase motor at a considerable savings. The cost of a VFD can also be reduced a lot by not using the one Jeremy (and I) used. They are plentiful and just as effective. You'll just have to go through the hassle of programming it. I paid less than $100 in steel for my build and had someone cut most of the pieces using a CNC plasma cutter for about $35. All told I think someone with a lot of patience, effort and shopping around could build this for less than $400. It's also a good learn to weld project.
    How hard was welding?

There's a couple bolt together kits. This one below is a bolt together kit with pdf and CAD plans. It can also go vertical or horizontal. Just time and careful taping and drilling some holes. I've found a 2hp 3phase for $130 so far, brand new.

How hard was welding?

There's a couple bolt together kits. This one below is a bolt together kit with pdf and CAD plans. It can also go vertical or horizontal. Just time and careful taping and drilling some holes. I've found a 2hp 3phase for $130 so far, brand new.

As mentioned before my belt grinder build was a first time welding project. I used a Millermatic 210 mig welder. The hardest part was in preparation and controlling movement caused by heat. I have to admit that many of the welds had to be done 2 or 3 times before being satisfied with them. An essential tool for the process was a 4" angle grinder. But after everything was done my welding confidence level soared.

Congrats on finding a 2hp 3-phase motor new for $120. You may also consider looking for a used one for even less.

What is the kit that you mentioned?