Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time To Eat Crow

Blog Entries
    The toeing in ability of angled dogs (say 3 degrees) enables you to hold narrow work without the tendency for it to lift off the bench. Yes you can use less pressure to stop the lifting and sometimes the holding is not enough. I do notice the improvement with toed in dogs.
    For every problem there is a solution. My bench is factory made so the dog holes are drilled at 90º. The solution for me was to toe in the top of the dogs:

Pop Up Dog.jpg

They do well at holding thin stock:

Planing Thin Stock.jpg

This also demonstrates how the 'weakness of vise racking' can be used to advantage by use of an 'anti-rack spacer stack' as a regulator on the vise pressure.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-15-2019 at 10:44 AM. Reason: words, words, words
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    For every problem there is a solution. My bench is factory made so the dog holes are drilled at 90º. The solution for me was to toe in the top of the dogs:

Pop Up Dog.jpg

They do well at holding thin stock:

Planing Thin Stock.jpg

This also demonstrates how the 'weakness of vise racking' can be used to advantage by use of an 'anti-rack spacer stack' as a regulator on the vise pressure.

jtk
    Jim,

Thanks, my point exactly. There is nothing inherently superior with square dogs and at least one reason they are inferior. When I see a bench with square dogs my first thought is the "Far Side" cartoon of the two time traveling cave men riding a flying log and "Hooting" at the modern world. A photo of my bench with square dogs is the title photo of my blog, that was the last bench I built with square dogs. I guess I should change the photo.

ken

It's just a dog eat dog world out there! Sorry couldn't resist......
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    It's just a dog eat dog world out there! Sorry couldn't resist......
    My bench dog hole layout has evolved over time. Some are placed between the two rows to apply side pressure to pieces being face planed. A few along the length to accommodate different widths works well. There are also some set to hold other bench top aids.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Every time I see this string, I remember that I was attached to DE 252, the Howard D Crow. I remember those days fondly.
    I saw new atomic sub Nautilus on the surface throwing a rooster tail 40 to 50 feet in the air. She was much faster than our WWII vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Every time I see this string, I remember that I was attached to DE 252, the Howard D Crow. I remember those days fondly.
    I saw new atomic sub Nautilus on the surface throwing a rooster tail 40 to 50 feet in the air. She was much faster than our WWII vessel.

Lowell,

Interesting history with lots of Texas connections.

ken