Thread: Anybody tried the Pinnacle 151-1/2 radiused spokeshave?

Anybody tried the Pinnacle 151-1/2 radiused spokeshave?

I'd like to add a Stanley 151 R or 151 MR to my flat-sole 151, but the R models seem quite rare. Then I saw that Pinnacle makes a round-bottom shave they call the 151 1/2. Any experience with it here?

Blog Entries
    Hi Bob, are these mail order or can you actually get your hands on it before purchase?

Another option might be to look for a Stanley #63 spokeshave. It doesn't have the gull wing handles but it works well.

After googling the Pinnacle shave a better option might be a Veritas Spokeshave.

Here is an old post on some inexpensive spokeshaves compared to Stanley spokeshaves:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153938

Since then the flat bottom shave had a bit more fettling and became close to useable. Maybe more fettling will help.

My Stanley shaves have worked well. Light fettling was required on one or two of them.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-12-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    ... jtk
    Jim, the link to the discussion got lost (it goes to the same LV page.)

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the alert David, it has been corrected.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim,

Great suggestion to feel the tool, of course. The Woodcraft site says they have a few of the Pinnacles in stock, but "my" store is an hour away without traffic, as if that ever happens in the Bay Area. The photo looks good, and it's endorsed by Rob Cosman, so how bad can it be, especially for $120? The mouth opening looks moderate, which is what I want.

Yes, I've spotted the Veritas. It has real potential. The photos lack information about the size of the mouth, but drilling down to the instruction manual the description says, "shims let you adjust the mouth opening as needed." It looks like they've made a mouth that's not as ultra fine as that of the Boggs, but that can be shimmed down to it if need be. They include a 0.0005" and a 0.010".

Hmmm.
    The shimming idea has me musing about the possibilities with my "new" #151, whose mouth is rather a maw. I'll have to experiment. Has anyone here done this with a shave?

My goal is to have two moderately-wide-mouth shaves for rough, hogging work –– one flat (#151, check) and one round (hence the search for a #151 R or RM). Then I can save the ultra-narrow-mouth round Boggs for fine finishing work. That's the plan, anyway. And with shims I might be able to adjust the Stanley(s) to a manageable "narrow-enough" setting for everyday work that still provides tight control. In any case, I wouldn't expect the #151 to ever match the tiny opening or the tight tolerances across the width of the Boggs. That thing is a precision instrument, still way beyond my skill set, for now.

All in all, I think I'm going to hold out for a vintage #151 R. I can see they're rare, so I'll have to bide my time.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 11-13-2019 at 2:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    Great suggestion to feel the tool, of course. The Woodcraft site says they have a few of the Pinnacles in stock, but "my" store is an hour away without traffic, as if that ever happens in the Bay Area. The photo looks good, and it's endorsed by Rob Cosman, so how bad can it be, especially for $120? The mouth opening looks moderate, which is what I want.
    If you do go to the store to see it in person, check if you can see light between the blade and the lever cap or the blade and the bed. A little light might work fine with a little fettling, a lot of light means a lot of fettling.

My Veritas concave shave worked right out of the box. It doesn't need shimming.

The Preston replica, Cast Round Spokeshave, might also be an alternative. It is a smaller lighter spokeshave. Mine was purchased when they first came on the market. It did need a little bit of fettling. It also has an attractive price.

jtk

Thanks Jim. You just caused me to spend more money My Veritas concave also impressed me with the first stroke I made with it. It's probably my favorite spokeshave to use. I was missing one in the category of that Cast Round.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Thanks Jim. You just caused me to spend more money My Veritas concave also impressed me with the first stroke I made with it. It's probably my favorite spokeshave to use. I was missing one in the category of that Cast Round.
    It is a fun little shave for light work. It took me a little effort to get used to working with it. It and my #63 are often used together. The #63 to get rid of saw marks and the Cast Round is often used for the final smoothing or chamfering.

jtk

Update: I located a 151 R today: Tooltique in England. Looks like a nice refurbishment and at a tiny English price. So my set is soon to be complete — as I currently see it.

Tooltique seems to be run by an active restorer of vintage tools who sets attractive prices.