Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Holding the Workpiece

Are you saying you are resurfacing the spoilboard daily?

I'm not following what you are saying.. how it could have worked. With that said, I am happy with this change. I have no more issues with the spoilboard movement (in z height).

Yeah just about. Vac suffers when it gets heavily grooved (cutting cab parts). We only cut through .002-.003 but after a full day it's due.

Agreed. Your solution seems great. I really envy the tracks at times.

Steven, spoilboards on machines used daily in production get surfaced very frequently, largely for the reason that Mark mentions. Most are using vacuum for hold down of sheet stock and maintaining vacuum is important. Some shops surface multiple times per day. I don't use vacuum and only cut one-off stuff part time. I re-surface mine when I feel it needs it or before I start a more involved, larger project. I've also learned to move the smaller jobs around the table, too. There's a natural inclination to do all those little jobs at the front of the table which means that area gets truly messed up while the area toward the back of the table has little wear from "cut through". Sometimes it's the little things...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For sure, and Ive mentioned it before but I have one dedicated spot on my machine where I reluctantly drilled and tapped four holes into the frame so I can mount a vise/palette/fixture when needed and my consummate paranoia has me always wanting to have the ability to move that location around a bit to even out wear on the machine. I get fixated on my standard XY zero corner. But then again, you look at large milling centers and so on that run very similar rails and screws and they are working off a fixed vise in a very small envelope.

It would still ease the over-thinker in me to have the ability to move around the table a bit. If I ever get to consistently doing that type of stuff the tracks will be very high on the list.

Just did a small job modifying 350 brass hinges for a contractor with 1050 holes and counterbores and working for 8 hours non stop on that one corner had me spinning lol.