Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bandsaw quest, opinion?

1. Different strokes, but when used stuff costs much more than half the same exact model can be had for new, I start thinking new. If a used tool needs much work I will pay less than that. True that regional prices vary, but if you live somewhere that used prices are much higher than that, just maybe it isn't worth buying used.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    ...when used stuff costs much more than half the same exact model can be had for new, I start thinking new...
    It is a fallacy to make up a single rule for pricing used equipment. Condition is only everything. If you can buy a like-new machine for substantially less than brand new price, that savings should be compelling.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Donald G. Burns View Post
    At the moment Sears (yes Sears) has a 14" Rikon 14-321 bandsaw for sale at $709.99 with free in store pickup. See: https://www.sears.com/rikon-14inch-b...3&blockType=G3

I'm not sure if these are old stock or special run of an old Rikon model. There is an old thread here on S.C. regarding the 321: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....a-good-bandsaw

Donald - this is not the same saw being discussed here. The one you linked is 14", but that's where the similarities end. It only has 8" of resaw and an open stand.

4. Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    It is a fallacy to make up a single rule for pricing used equipment. Condition is only everything. If you can buy a like-new machine for substantially less than brand new price, that savings should be compelling.
    True, but IMO people seem to undervalue a new machine with manufacturer support, warranty, knowledge that no one has already screwed the machine up, and the peace of mind that comes from that. I was probably overstating my bias against paying too much for used a bit, but did say "start thinking new" not "absolutely wouldn't buy used". My rule wasn't really intended to be a hard and fast rule. Some things used may be as good as new and a warranty or the option of support may be less important. I might be less worried about warranty and support for an anvil than a cnc machine.

You do have to decide what the value of "new" and the support and warranty that comes with that is for you when making the decision. What you can afford factors in as well, but I am often amazed when I see folks springing for a used machine when a new one isn't much more at all.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that people can charge what they want and willing customers can pay it. If both parties are happy all is good. I am just saying that maybe more folks should take another look at what the new machine costs before pulling the trigger on a used one if the cost is too substantial of a portion of the new one.

It is pretty nice to have a brand new machine, but it can also wind up cheaper in some cases. If you find that the used machine has some issue that you weren't aware of (and maybe doesn't show itself right away) or some new issue comes up that would have been covered under warranty, it may quickly become more expensive than the new machine would have been.
    Last edited by Pete Staehling; 11-13-2019 at 6:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Donald - this is not the same saw being discussed here. The one you linked is 14", but that's where the similarities end. It only has 8" of resaw and an open stand.

Dave, I was replying to the OP with his implied pricing issue ($650?), not the ability to resaw with the bigger saws. Figured why not let him decide a new smaller resaw ability vs. used bigger saw. I know if I was younger and starting off I'd save up and get a bigger saw. I do understand the limits of a small saw since mine is an under 5" resaw limited 10" Craftsman 21204 (AKA Rikon 305) saw. Which sucks for resawing most any real (wide) lumber, but most of my projects are not made with resawn wood and I'm on the down slope of the number of years left using it.