Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bandsaw quest, opinion?

bandsaw quest, opinion?

Ive been looking for a mediocre bandsaw, Im not a woodworking pro, but after many hours of research and knowing what I want and may want to do, I have decided that I would like some resaw capability. It seems, for some reason, that people in my area are asking much more for a saw compared to other areas. I was considering one listed on fb marketplace, a grizzly g0580 for $400 but it was a bit far away and I declined. Now I see the same saw (used the same picture, lol) a bit closer to me for $700 and describes it as a 20" saw. I just came across this, around 2 hrs away...I need pro advice...$650rikon.jpg

I think you should start off by gathering a little more information. Parts of your post point to a lack of information. Also, learn to recognize a scam. If you see the same picture used in completely different ads in different areas, it's a scam. Also, if the text of the add indicates that the "seller" knows nothing about the item, move on.

Do you currently have a bandsaw or have any experience with using one? What are your expectations? How much re-saw capacity do you really want / need? Do you have a jointer or planer or have the skills / proper tools to dimension lumber square with hand tools if no jointer / planer. Re-sawing without a reliable way to square up your stock before, during and after can be an exercise in frustration.

What’s your budget? Do you have 220V power available? I could go on, but I know that the answers to all these questions and more are going to help inform answers from others on the forum. Hard to advise much without more info.
    Still waters run deep.

It’s a scam. Didn’t you see that the saw pictures is a Rikon not a Grizzly?

sorry, I didnt make myself clear, the story of grizzly was a different situation...what is a decent price for this saw?rikon.jpg

$400 - $500

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Loposser View Post
    sorry, I didnt make myself clear, the story of grizzly was a different situation...what is a decent price for this saw?rikon.jpg
    Price depends a lot on your location and what the used tool market is like there. Folks from the Rust Belt and the North East always amaze me with what they say they have available on craigslist and what the prices are. Around here we don't have a quarter of what they do, and the prices are always much higher. Supply and demand at its finest I guess.

what is a decent price for this saw?
    Decent prices for used equipment are highly regional.
    your best clue: if the item disappears while you ask a forum, it was (probably) a good price.
    (but there can be exceptions)

That saw looks like an older version of rikon 10-325 -- a 14" bandsaw with ~13" of resaw height.
    My impression is that it's a viable saw, although asking price seems high.
    Think it used to retail ~800; rikon shifted from green to blue in ~2014/2015
    I think they curently market the 10-326, but at ~1000 at normal sales. I think this has some updates for guide/fence/etc.

This saw should work well with a 1/2" 3tpi blade; doubt it would work well with a carbide blade.
    I'd prefer this saw over a 14" delta/jet with riser.
    Bigger saws have more clearance to the throat, larger tables (handy for stabilizing in/outfeed), and probably more power (and require 220V).

Whether this is a good fit for you will depend on what you want to be doing.

I had a 14" powermatic that I tried to do a bit of milling on. That was challenging, as I realized how unwieldy it was to support heavy workpieces on the small table.
    I eventually got a bigger saw, and that was amazing to use, although I do think milling is best done on a dedicated mill.
    In practice, I use a small saw (10" inca) for most of my bandsaw cuts, and I'm still table-saw centric for routine rips.
    You might have a different set of values if you do turning (I don't).

Matt

Looks to be a 14" in perfect condition. New one sells for over $1300. So $650-700 should be fair.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Looks to be a 14" in perfect condition. New one sells for over $1300. So $650-700 should be fair.
    $1,100 this summer. Watch the sales.

48393929847_ba2f0510d5_b.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

At the moment Sears (yes Sears) has a 14" Rikon 14-321 bandsaw for sale at $709.99 with free in store pickup. See: https://www.sears.com/rikon-14inch-b...3&blockType=G3

I'm not sure if these are old stock or special run of an old Rikon model. There is an old thread here on S.C. regarding the 321: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....a-good-bandsaw

I got an email from Woodcraft today that they are currently offering $100 off plus a free mobility kit for the Rikon 10-326.

Tempting...

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brader View Post
    I got an email from Woodcraft today that they are currently offering $100 off plus a free mobility kit for the Rikon 10-326.

Tempting...

Scott
    I love mine. I bought he mobility kit but took it back. It's not well thought out, and for the price I'd rather have a few spare blades.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

...I just came across this, around 2 hrs away...I need pro advice...$650rikon.jpg
    Looks like this one has the mobile base. I'd jump on it.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I would rather have that than a 14''Delta. ( I have a Delta) I use it a lot as my "small saw " and as such it works real good so no need to replace. That Rikon would be a better first saw though. Do not think about this for to long or it will be gone.