Thread: re-finishing deck

Blog Entries

re-finishing deck

Hi,

I am putting together a quote for re-finishing a deck. I'm wondering if I can even quote a clear coat finish option. The deck is painted right now. I don't think I'd ever be able to get all the paint out between the boards and trying to clear coat it would end up looking like crap.

Anyone have experience re-finishing decks that could give me some ideas? Otherwise, I just won't quote clear coat.

668.jpg

Not only do I doubt you can get all the old paint and wood oxidation off, I don't think you can buy a clear coat finish that will last even a year.

Blog Entries
    If the customer wants paint, I would walk away from the job. Any solid surface coating you put on wood that is outside and exposed to rain will absorb moisture from the under side of the deck and the paint will blister and peel. The only thing I would put on that deck is a semi-transparent stain and even then I would offer no warranty.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Like the deck we saw the other day, many of the boards are heart side out. Not gonna hold paint. Should be bark side
    out on all conifers. Or quarter sawn stock.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Hi,

I am putting together a quote for re-finishing a deck. I'm wondering if I can even quote a clear coat finish option. The deck is painted right now. I don't think I'd ever be able to get all the paint out between the boards and trying to clear coat it would end up looking like crap.

Anyone have experience re-finishing decks that could give me some ideas? Otherwise, I just won't quote clear coat.

668.jpg
    Now isn't a good time for doing a job like that. You would have to do a certain amount of cleaning the deck with paint and varnish remover and none of them works well below 70 degrees.

Then if you manage to get it stripped and sanded if the customer wants a clear finish be sure to tell them it will take a lot of maintenance and expense to maintain. Even if you purchased the best varnish it's going to have to be cleaned and recoated every couple of years. A deck finish might need to be re-applied a couple times a year but it's only about 30 minutes work if a person has spray equipment. If you are going to clear coat the deck use Epfines spar varnish. It's formulated to be used for the deck of a boat. It's expensive but in this case you get what you pay for.

I think their best bet is to use one of those thick deck coatings, and get a few more years out of it. I'd pressure wash it, let it dry thoroughly, and then coat it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. Yes, I am looking into products now to see what temps I can perform the work at.

The stairs need to be fully replaced. I'm going to wrap that into the quote.

When we moved into our house five years ago the deck had a fresh coat of paint on it but you could still see the issues with the wood. There were a few areas of rot and splitting, so I knew the paint was not going to last. It did not. This winter or next spring I will start replacing all the boards and checking the subframe. The handrail has to go too.

Just replace it.