Thread: Happy Veterans' Day

Happy Veterans' Day

A Happy Veterans' Day to all who served in the military.

Remember that Veterans' Day is for the living and Memorial Day is when we honor those who fell.

Mike (1Lt US Army, 1968-71, Vietnam 1970-71)
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Happy Veteran's Day to all those who served!

Yesterday listening to ESPN's NFL Sunday Countdown, one of the analysts was thanking those of their coworkers who served. He thanked Sal Palantonio who served in the US Navy and then Chris Mortensen who served in the US Army, from 1968-70. Chris Mortensen was sitting at the desk with this other guy. Like a lot of other Vietnam era veterans, the draft effected my life and the lives of many of our generation, I couldn't help but chuckle at Chris Mortensen's response "I was a first round draft pick!".

Ken, (US Navy 1968-76)
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-11-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Wishing the best to all who have served.

George 1968 -1970. Vietnam Feb 1970 -Dec 1970
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Happy Veteran's Day to all those who served!

Yesterday listening to ESPN's NFL Sunday Countdown, one of the analysts was thanking those of their coworkers who served. He thanked Sal Palantonio who served in the US Navy and then Chris Mortensen who served in the US Army, from 1968-70. Chris Mortensen was sitting at the desk with this other guy. Like a lot of other Vietnam era veterans, the draft effected my life and the lives of many of our generation, I couldn't help but chuckle at Chris Mortensen's response "I was a first round draft pick!".

Ken, (US Navy 1968-76)
    I was already in the Army when they had the first draft lottery in 1968, but my number came up as 004. So I didn't feel too bad that I was drafted earlier - they would have gotten me anyway.

I suppose 004 would be considered a first round draft pick.

Mike

[Correction, the first draft lottery was in 1969, not 1968. Didn't make any difference to my status.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-11-2019 at 5:06 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thank you!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I was already in the Army when they had the first draft lottery in 1968, but my number came up as 004. So I didn't feel too bad that I was drafted earlier - they would have gotten me anyway.

I suppose 004 would be considered a first round draft pick.

Mike
    I am sure Mike!
    Ken

The evening when the first draft lottery was held I was sitting in the lounge of Carmichael Hall at Tufts University listening to all the guys worry and bluster about how they were going to find their way around the draft. Someone walked up to me and asked me if I knew my lottery number and I told him no. He then asked me what by classification was. I told him 4A. He asked what that was and I laughed and told him.....completed military service. I will admit to being disgusted at the fear and selfishness.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I passed the draft physical in August of 1968. I knew in Livingston County Illinois at the time, I had about 90 days before I received a 2nd free train ticket and an invitation I couldn't refuse. After discussing the situation with my Dad, I enlisted as enlisting gave me some control over my future. My initial enlistment was for 6 years to get the training I wanted. I don't remember when the draft lottery started. I just remember in the summer of 1968, there was a shortage of 19-21 year old guys without wives and children, or not enrolled full time in college and the draft was fully operational.

I just read that the draft lottery was actually conducted in December 1969. I had been in a year at that time.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-11-2019 at 2:37 PM.
    Ken

I don't remember my number in the lottery but it was low and I would have been an early round of draftees.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

You’re a week late Mark! Welcome to the forum though.