Thread: Arts and crafts rocker take two...

Arts and crafts rocker take two...

Finished the first a year ago and working on its mate. Quartersawn white oak.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have one just like it in my living room.
    I attended a Paul Sellars class at Elm Mott Texas near Waco Texas.

I also made the Brazos Rocker at a later date. It is in my house as well.

I have also made chairs for friends, children and grandchildren.I made them using various wood, mesquite, oak, and maple.

They still conduct classes there if anyone is interested.

I watched PS videos on this chair. A lot of work but fun to make!

Josh, the chair in the photo is outstanding. I have made many A&C pieces over the year. So many that the wife has asked "no more" because we now live in a house of a different style. For me, there was a real excitement in working with QSWO and the finish that brings it to life. I never did a rocker myself but we have a child's rocker in the syle of yours that is a period piece from GGP's manual arts class a hundred years ago. Good luck with your next one!

Blog Entries
    I have a Craftsman Rocker and a Brazos Rocker that I made a Homestead Heritage in Waco Texas.

Nice, clean work Josh. A keeper for sure.
    David

Beautifully done!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Really nice! Any suggestions for plans/design ideas for someone like me who might be interested building one?

Thanks Mike. As a novice, I spent a few bucks on a Paul Sellers video tutorial, google “woodworking masterclass Paul sellers”. I’m sure there are other sources of plans. I used rough lumber and minimal power tools on the first one so it was pretty physically demanding...curves and quite a few mortices. It took me 6 months of spare time. I used a bandsaw a lot on the second which took 2 months. It’s not a difficult project to understand but he demonstrates some techniques such as laying out and fitting all those mortices for the back slat that you may save you some rework if your not particularly experienced. Very fun project!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Josh, the chair in the photo is outstanding. I have made many A&C pieces over the year. So many that the wife has asked "no more" because we now live in a house of a different style. For me, there was a real excitement in working with QSWO and the finish that brings it to life. I never did a rocker myself but we have a child's rocker in the syle of yours that is a period piece from GGP's manual arts class a hundred years ago. Good luck with your next one!
    Thanks Mike. I like Mission style furniture too and I’m considering a Morris chair at some point which I have a place for at home. She hasn’t said stop yet!

Nice work Josh. Did you work from a set of plans, or design it yourself? I've been thinking about a rocker for a while, and will start on one soon. I really like the look of what you made.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Nice work Josh. Did you work from a set of plans, or design it yourself? I've been thinking about a rocker for a while, and will start on one soon. I really like the look of what you made.
    Thanks Bill. I worked from a PS video and drawing. I haven’t designed anything of my own yet. Although I may redesign this chair for me personally one day. This chair is pretty comfortable but I’m 6’4” and pushing 300# and wouldn’t mind a “big mans” version