Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Spalted Maple

Ideas for Spalted Maple

Last summer I had the good fortune of coming across a maple log that spring storms had taken (mostly) down. Maple is somewhat scarce here in central Oklahoma so I jumped at the chance for a free log. After finally getting it cut at the sawmill, it turns out that it is actually spalted maple... a real surprise. Now, the question I have is... what should I do with it? I have about 8 rough sawn 5/4 boards that are 12" wide and 7ft long. In my mind, spalted maple lends itself as being more of an accent wood rather than something one would use for an entire piece. I have been thinking about building a Krenov Cabinet with a walnut base and using the maple for the cabinet. Any other ideas or suggestions? Anything I should be aware of with this wood? I still have some time to ponder it, it is currently stacked and stickered air drying.

You have the right idea to use it for accent pieces. Makes great box tops too.

Word of caution, that lovely spalting is caused by fungi, which are not good to breathe. Make sure you use a mask when working with it, and don't let its sawdust and sanding dust accumulate in the shop. I normally don't work it for that reason, as I am particularly sensitive to it.

On a practical note, accents are a good use for it. Sometimes there can be strength and stability issues in larger pieces depending on the amount of decay in the board.

Looks nice when used for the panels in a frame and panel object.
    David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Looks nice when used for the panels in a frame and panel object.
    You are on the right track of using it for accents. It could make a great front for drawers. The continuation of the grain across the drawers or if there are a couple tiers of drawers book matched pieces might look great. With 12" wide boards that could be quite a section of drawers.

My experience with spalted wood was mostly using it as an accent on a keepsake box made for my granddaughter:

Keepsake Box For Jenny.jpg

The panel is spalted alder and the box is made of alder.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've used spalted maple for a couple small projects.

Here's a box that turned out nice.

4964851384_ca01957551_k.jpg

And a footstool where the spalting is almost too much:

11154548885_7c22c55dce_k.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    Last summer I had the good fortune of coming across a maple log that spring storms had taken (mostly) down. Maple is somewhat scarce here in central Oklahoma so I jumped at the chance for a free log. After finally getting it cut at the sawmill, it turns out that it is actually spalted maple... a real surprise. Now, the question I have is... what should I do with it? I have about 8 rough sawn 5/4 boards that are 12" wide and 7ft long. In my mind, spalted maple lends itself as being more of an accent wood rather than something one would use for an entire piece. I have been thinking about building a Krenov Cabinet with a walnut base and using the maple for the cabinet. Any other ideas or suggestions? Anything I should be aware of with this wood? I still have some time to ponder it, it is currently stacked and stickered air drying.
    Spalted wood is highly prized by woodturners, but usually in pieces thicker than 5/4. However, some use such thicknesses for plates, thin platters, hand mirrors, and spindle turning.

One caution with wood that was down for a while (besides the possible rot in places) is infestation with powder post beetles. I got some maple in this condition recently and cut some up into turning blanks and put them in a tub overnight. The next day there were dozens of PPBs in the bottom of the tub, some still alive. Apparently, exposing fresh edges interrupted the paths of some beetles so they exited early. I took all the wood outside. Beetles can stay in the wood for years before they exit, look for mates, then search for more wood to lay their eggs. Fortunately 5/4 boards provide more opportunity for early exits and make them easier to spot. Some types will infest dry hardwoods inclucing furniture, some softwoods like framing in the house, some wet woods. Maybe watch for hole and/or frass in your stack.

I was once cutting maple in front of my garage and watched a bunch of insects fly towards me from the woods and land on the maple end grain and start to dig in. I assume the were attracted by the strong smell of the freshly cut wood.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on the find! Finding Spalted Maple at a commercial lumberyard is rare as hen's teeth and super expensive if available.

I agree with the suggestions is Spalted Maple's excellent use an accent wood in things like the panel and frame and panel doors were drawer fronts etc. That's the kind of treasure I would salt away in the shop and use sparingly as long as it lasts. Would love to see some pictures of your work with this cool wood!

Best, Mike

Love to work in maple, especially spalted its beautiful. We have it surface occasionally, plus having friends with local "hobby" bandsaw mills is a plus. A couple recent projects:

20191114_093603.jpg20190921_144153.jpg

10. I use spalted wood quite a bit. All the advice here is spot on. I would only add three things:

If the wood you have is "blackline" spalt you have to take care when you're cleaning up the surface. The blacklines are a very fine, black dust which will, if you sand it, get in all the pores of the wood (spalts are usually quite porous). The wood will become very dirty looking and you really can't do much about it, except plane down a little bit more. If you run into this problem - you'll know it - don't sand at all, just plane. You can scrape if you're very careful and your scraper is very sharp. Spalt sort of scrapes like pine, meaning not much. Planing is much better. And you could seal the surface first and then sand, but the surface has to be really sealed up well.

Spalts can be punky. Sometimes it's helpful to infuse them with cyanoacrylate or something like PolyAll 2000.

Spalts, being so porous, can absorb a lot of liquid, and that turns the wood quite a bit darker. If you don't like this you might try bleaching first, before a clear finish. You have to be careful with this - it's easy to bleach spalted maple bone white and that doesn't look good at all. (DAMHIKT)

PS: If you feel like selling some your wood, let me know.

Gilbert_oblique_1620.jpg

NextOne_oblique_1620.jpg

Show2interior1620.jpgblack_oblique_1620_edited.jpg

frontal_1620.jpg

Really nice work Steve. Where do you source such nice figured wood?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Agree with Rob, the work is spectacular.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

13. Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Really nice work Steve. Where do you source such nice figured wood?
    I've been collecting spalted lumber for the last 30 years. I've bought stuff on Ebay, Hearne Hardwoods, Groff & Groff, NW Timber, all the usual suspects.

spalting

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Altman View Post
    I've been collecting spalted lumber for the last 30 years. I've bought stuff on Ebay, Hearne Hardwoods, Groff & Groff, NW Timber, all the usual suspects.
    I have been also, mostly turning blanks but some lumber but I can't rememer buying any. Most of mine I saw myself from trees that have been down a while. Just this week I found nicely spalted persimmon log sections which were on the ground since last summer. (For anyone not familiar with persimmon it's in the Ebony family and has many of the same properties except for color.) I once dug up an old dogwood stump and found some incredible spalting, my first with dogwood. There are threads here about how to create spalted wood.

Some spalted hackberry I cut recently and a few more blocks from a couple of years ago - I have somehow accumulated a lot more now including some spalted sugar maple and red maple. So sad.

spalted_Suggs.jpg Spalted_IMG_20170118_132621.jpg

Some good info from Charles Richards:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...72#post2648072
    and
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....60#post2906760

These threads, like many, diverge wildly but there is a lot of spalting information there.

For some fascinating reading, check out the book by Dr Spalt (Sari Robinson): https://www.amazon.com/Spalted-Wood-.../dp/0764350382
    Well worth the cost for hard-core wood freaks.

JKJ

Steve,
    I think your boxes are quite simply fantastic! Wonderfully beautiful art objects!