Thread: Will Myers Is Giving A Talk

Will Myers Is Giving A Talk

Will Myers is giving a talk about Moravian workbenches to the Triangle Woodworkers Association in Cary, NC on Nov.19th. Open to all. I wish I were close enough to go.

Can’t you come up with some excuse to deadhead to RDU? 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Can’t you come up with some excuse to deadhead to RDU? 
    I wish . I expect it will be a good talk. From his videos Will is a hoot and I expect not much different in real life.

ken

Ken I spent a weekend with Will in October, took a class on the Shaker Table, at LAP. Yes, he is a hoot and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Ken I spent a weekend with Will in October, took a class on the Shaker Table, at LAP. Yes, he is a hoot and more.
    Steve,

I expected as much, there are a couple of folks I would like to take a class from and you confirmed one of 'em. Retirement is just around the corner and I'll have the time, may not have the money but will have the time. Kinda sounds like the hook of country song.

ken

Highly recommend a class with Will. Down to earth as they come

Ohoho, guess I know where I'll be this Tuesday at 7pm! Thanks Ken, I would have missed it otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    Ohoho, guess I know where I'll be this Tuesday at 7pm! Thanks Ken, I would have missed it otherwise!
    Steven,

You are welcome. I hope it goes well and you give us a report of his presentation.

ken

So I did manage to make it to Will's presentation. I couldn't stay for the entire meeting, but his talk in the first hour of the meeting was about the history of the bench and how he came to building it.

Even more fun for me was getting to put my hands on his benches and examine them up close.
    There were 3 different face vices on display, two from Lake Erie with wooden screws, and one metal scissor vice. I think I liked the last one best, very smooth and doesn't require adjusting the pin at the bottom of the chops like the wood screw versions do.
    There were also wagon vices on each, the newer version with the wheel was very nice indeed.

Definitely looking forward to building my own now, as soon as I get the time.

So I did manage to make it to Will's presentation. I couldn't stay for the entire meeting, but his talk in the first hour of the meeting was about the history of the bench and how he came to building it.

Even more fun for me was getting to put my hands on his benches and examine them up close.
    There were 3 different face vices on display, two from Lake Erie with wooden screws, and one metal scissor vice. I think I liked the last one best, very smooth and doesn't require adjusting the pin at the bottom of the chops like the wood screw versions do.
    There were also wagon vices on each, the newer version with the wheel was very nice indeed.

Definitely looking forward to building my own now, as soon as I get the time.
    Steven,

Thanks for the report. Your face vise experience matches my own. I've built several benches with the Lake Erie screw and love the action and holding power of a wood screw, the last build was with the BC Classic screw and crisscross and it is the better option. The BC vise is smooth, fast, and with even better holding power. There is no downside other than it doesn't "look" traditional. I just received the new model wagon vise, I'm not sure if I will retrofit an older bench or build a new bench.

The bench is a very quick build, have fun and build several of different sizes , they are pretty handy to have around.

ken

I snapped a few poor quality pics with my phone too:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I snapped a few poor quality pics with my phone too:

Nice work by Will.

ken